Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tikluganguly

Getting Forbidden error with PowerBI service

Hi All,

I am trying to embed a report from PowerBI.com to a web app. I have followed the instruction given in the following link

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedding-content/

I have registered the app as native. The Azure AD tenant is our companies corporate AD and I have a PowerBI Pro account. So I have created the app in Azure AD and granted the permission to myself. I have also created a test group and assigned a report in that group. I am able to see the reports via code. But when I am trying to generate the report I am getting a forbidden error. Following is the code listing for generating token

public class PowerBIHelper
    {
        private static readonly string Username = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["pbiUsername"];
        private static readonly string Password = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["pbiPassword"];
        private static readonly string AuthorityUrl = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["authorityUrl"];
        private static readonly string ResourceUrl = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["resourceUrl"];
        private static readonly string ClientId = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["clientId"];
        private static readonly string ApiUrl = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["apiUrl"];
        private static readonly string GroupId = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["groupId"];

private async Task<PowerBIClient> GetClient()
        {
            // Create a user password cradentials.
            var credential = new UserPasswordCredential(Username, Password);

// Authenticate using created credentials
            var authenticationContext = new AuthenticationContext(AuthorityUrl);
            var authenticationResult = await authenticationContext.AcquireTokenAsync(ResourceUrl, ClientId, credential);

if (authenticationResult == null)
            {
                throw new UnauthorizedAccessException("Authentication Failed");
            }

var tokenCredentials = new TokenCredentials(authenticationResult.AccessToken, "Bearer");

// Create a Power BI Client object. It will be used to call Power BI APIs.
            return new PowerBIClient(new Uri(ApiUrl), tokenCredentials);
        }

public async Task<EmbedToken> GenerateTokenAsync(string reportid)
        {
            using (var client = await GetClient())
            {

var tok = await client.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(GroupId, reportid, new GenerateTokenRequest("view")); //.GenerateTokenAsync(reportid, new GenerateTokenRequest("view")); //"Report.ReadWrite.All" //"Report.ReadWrite.All""Report.ReadWrite"
                return tok;
            }
        }

public async Task<List<Report>> GetAllReportsInGroupAsync()
        {
            using (var client = await GetClient())
            {
                var reports = await client.Reports.GetReportsInGroupAsync(GroupId); //.GetReportsAsync(); //
                return reports.Value.ToList();
            }
        }

}

Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards

Tiklu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Guys,

After selecting all the permission for PowerBI service I was finally able to generate the report. Thanks 

Thanks 

Tiklu

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tikluganguly

Hi Again,

I have attached the screenshots of the permissions assigned to the app. 

perm1.pngperm2.png

Regards

Tiklu

Hey Guys,

After selecting all the permission for PowerBI service I was finally able to generate the report. Thanks 

Thanks 

Tiklu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors