Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

njdeering
Frequent Visitor

Getting Data from Desktop into Service

I want to create a dash board with live auto-refreshing data. I'm using data from Google Anaytics to create my dash. When I try to grab the data from Google under "services", I get a preset dash and what seems to be all the data that was picked out for use in this dash. However, this data seems very limited compared to what I am able to import on the Desktop program. How do I get that same data in the online service? 

From what I understand I can't have the Desktop version auto-refresh the data for me, so this seems like it's my only option right now. 

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there I did was to create my Google Analytics dataset using Power BI Desktop. I just used the Google Analytics Connector from under Get Data. I could then bring in the specific data that I wanted, as well as use the Query Editor to make the required changes.

Then when I uploaded it to the Power BI Service, I then had the ability to schedule the refreshes from Google Analytics.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

So even though I import it in from Desktop first, then publish it to the online app, it will still auto-refresh? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I believe so.

You will have to schedule the refreshing in the settings which can be up to 8 times a day.

Power BI Blog

Is there a way to force a manual refresh outside of the scheduled time? 

Hi @njdeering,

Is there a way to force a manual refresh outside of the scheduled time? 

In the new navigation UI, the "Refresh Now" option is under Datasets tab > ACTIONSSmiley Happy

refreshnow.PNG

Regards

How have I not noticed that yet? Smiley Surprised

Go to Datasets and click on the ... menu button. You should see a "Refresh Now" option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors