Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

njdeering
Frequent Visitor

Getting Data from Desktop into Service

I want to create a dash board with live auto-refreshing data. I'm using data from Google Anaytics to create my dash. When I try to grab the data from Google under "services", I get a preset dash and what seems to be all the data that was picked out for use in this dash. However, this data seems very limited compared to what I am able to import on the Desktop program. How do I get that same data in the online service? 

From what I understand I can't have the Desktop version auto-refresh the data for me, so this seems like it's my only option right now. 

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there I did was to create my Google Analytics dataset using Power BI Desktop. I just used the Google Analytics Connector from under Get Data. I could then bring in the specific data that I wanted, as well as use the Query Editor to make the required changes.

Then when I uploaded it to the Power BI Service, I then had the ability to schedule the refreshes from Google Analytics.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

So even though I import it in from Desktop first, then publish it to the online app, it will still auto-refresh? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I believe so.

You will have to schedule the refreshing in the settings which can be up to 8 times a day.

Power BI Blog

Is there a way to force a manual refresh outside of the scheduled time? 

Hi @njdeering,

Is there a way to force a manual refresh outside of the scheduled time? 

In the new navigation UI, the "Refresh Now" option is under Datasets tab > ACTIONSSmiley Happy

refreshnow.PNG

Regards

How have I not noticed that yet? Smiley Surprised

Go to Datasets and click on the ... menu button. You should see a "Refresh Now" option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors