Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NerdFlanders
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway refresh active directory and SQL

HI,

I have a datamodel which gets data from an SQL on-prem Server and on-prem active directory. 

Is it possible to setup a data refresh with the Power BI Enterprise Gateway? Even if it's only updating the data from the SQL servers would be enough for now.

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
v_mark
Helper V
Helper V
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @NerdFlanders,

Yes, you can. On-premise gateway pbi is for that. Just install enterprise gateway in your server, sign in with account and verify credential for the first time in pbi service. Refreshing schedule could be done in pbi service (web) if you are using import mode for data model.. Please refer https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/. If have any concern please let us know to help you.

Hi @tringuyenminh92,

thanks for you reply.

Unfortunately it's not working. I have 7 SQL databases and an Active Directory connection in the report. All SQL servers are registrered in the PBI Gateway, but on the PowerBI website it can't find the Gateway, so I can't setup a refresh.

Hi @NerdFlanders,

From your server, please run Enterprise gateway and sign in to ensure it's running. After that, open browser and sign in PBI, go to Datasets tab of reports to check if there is any gateway instance available or not?

Hope you could share your screenshots of your Manage gateways screen and your Datasets of reports screen as below pictures:

Screenshot 2017-02-08 14.31.42.pngScreenshot 2017-02-08 14.32.02.png

Hi @tringuyenminh92

Unfortunately i can't post pictures because the gateway is administrated by our Admin and he won't allow me to post pictures here, but I can ensure that the gateway is running, because the refresh of other reports is running properly and i tried to deploy this report without the active directory connection (only SQL server connections), then it worked. When I added the Active Directory connection again it couldn't find the gateway anymore. So it seems that I can't mix two different connection types in a report. 

I have the same problem with Excel in OneDrive and SQL, its just not working together when you want to setup a scheduled refresh.

@NerdFlanders, did you get any solution for this? we have the same issue with Oracle and Active Directory.

I think the issue here is that you can't setup a Gateway datasource for Active Directory and unless all data sources in the dataset can use the Gateway then the gateway option is not available.  I've got datasets that get data from On Prem SQL and On Prem Excel files and they work just fine but only after I had created all the connections.  Failed to create one of the sources in the gateway and the option wasn't available.

I too have a dataset using Active Directory as the source and I can't schedule a refresh of it, really disappointing.  I'm considering having a job run on prem to extract the AD data and then use the extract as my data source, not as great as I'd like but this is only requires a daily refresh so it's probably a workaround.

@Edwin_PBi Unfortunately not. I also didn't continue working on this report.

It's really nice that PowerBI offers a lot of data connectors, but if I can't use 2 diffent ones together it's a big issue they should work on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors