Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jfenico
Helper III
Helper III

Gateway Refresh - Query contains unknown or unsupported data sources. (null values)

I have a Power Bi template that I send out to different parts of our organization. Depending on which department is viewing the report, the template can specify a certain number (up to 5) of servers in the report. I have the report written using parameters where the user creating the report can easily input the server names.

So if user A has 5 servers they want to query, they input 5 server names, and there are a few tables where I append all of the results into the report.

If user B only have 4 servers, they input 4 server names and the same thing occurs. However, I put in an If statement basically saying if parameter for server 5 = null, then the table will be null and we ignore it during the appending of data.

The report itself works fine in Desktop but I cannot get them to refresh because of the refresh error above in the title. I suspect the Source = null for any blank parameters might be the issue but would need to get confirmation from someone. If that is indeed the case, any workarounds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

I see that you said that there were 5 server names?

Could you not create a 6th one that points to an existing server so that you know when it should not be used?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jfenico
Helper III
Helper III

Digging a little deeper into this, if I remove the blank parameters and their associated queries, it seems the refresh is enabled again. Kind of puts a damper on the usefulness of the templates, hoping there is a way around this.

Hi there

I think it has to do with a Parameter cannot be NULL.

What about if you had to change the logic, where if a user does not need the server they put in "N/A" into the Parameter. You can then change your if statement to look for "N/A" and then apply the logic there after?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

I think we're getting close but when I changed it to N/A, a new datasource appears. The gateway is no longer gives me the error but is now looking for credentials for a bogus datasource named "N/A".

Ok, so what if you let the users put in a connection to a valid source but that source doesn't return any data?

So that would work for the gateway because it would be able to connect. But it won't actually run a query. You could then use this data source name in your existing logic to change it from N/A to this data source?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQSo you're saying I should create a parameter for the data source as well? Or maybe I'm missing something.

Hi there,

What I was saying is to create another data source. And create that data source in your gateway

Power BI Blog

I see what you mean, I guess I could give that a shot. My only issue is coming up with an empty datasource. We query everything from a MySQL database (2 databases to be exact).

Hi there,

I see that you said that there were 5 server names?

Could you not create a 6th one that points to an existing server so that you know when it should not be used?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQThat did it! Thanks again buddy. Definitely an interesting solution but I see no reason why this won't work for our other offices in the future.

That is awesome, glad you got it working!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors