Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mattiaseriksson
Regular Visitor

Free Power Bi Pro on June 1st

Hi

From June 1st, everyone that had a Power BI Free license before May 2 will be able to sign up for a 12 months free Power BI Por license. Will the users be able to do this themselves? Without the involvement of the tenant administrator? We have disabled ad-hoc registration on out tenant and doesn't want the users to be able to get Power BI Pro without our control.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@mattiaseriksson

No, you can't limit the your organization users requesting Pro trial. And even your users are under Pro trial, they will still appear as free license in your O365 Admin Center. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@mattiaseriksson

No, you can't limit the your organization users requesting Pro trial. And even your users are under Pro trial, they will still appear as free license in your O365 Admin Center. 

Regards,

Thank you, @v-sihou-msft Very usefull information even if that was not what I was hoping for. It does limit the control over licenses that we can have when we administer a tenat

Apologies if i'm asking the obvious so will there free licences remain activated or do they have to click/sign up somewhere. Likewise as a user who creates dashboards and reports (as a free user) do I have to do anything?

Lastly what are the best options for sharing for free users moving forward?  Also what do you suggest on a more ongoing basis since the free user access expires after 1 year.

Any help greatly appreciated.

@Jay2077 From june 1st Free users will have the option of signing up for a 12 months free Power BI Pro trial if they had registered for Power BI free before May 2nd. They will have to register for this themselves on powerbi.com

The only way that I see for sharing with Power BI Free users after June 1st, if the organization doesn't have a Premium license, is to send or distribute the pbix files via some other mechanism than Power BI (sharepoint, onedrive, mail etc). If the organization has a premium license, sharing with Free users will be possible in the same way as today.

The premium license is recommended to allow for sharing within an organization. The only alternative is to give all users Power BI Pro licenses. This will become more expensive when you pass 150 users or so, then the premium license is preferable.

I hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it works the same way as the free trial currently.  So if your users can select the option for the free trial of Power BI Pro, you'll be able to do the 12 month version (permissions wise).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found a response on this thread here:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Slicer-is-not-highlighted-when-selected/td-p/175932/page/2

"This issue has already been reported to Power BI team internally a few days ago. It should can be deployed on all prod clusters this or next week. Please check it later.

Regards,

Charlie Liao"

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors