mim Member

Re: Fixes to Power BI Pro License Required Dialogs

[ Edited ]

@worldundermine i guess you have two solutions, either you pay or use something else

btw if your reports are not too much complex, you can try Google Data studio, it is "free" you can have multiple people working on the same reports, and  you can sign in using your company email account. 

Established Member

@mim, I think you have misunderstood the concerns from the community.

Microsoft has mistakenly outpriced itself from large organisations which are its core customers. PowerBi is more expensive than Qlik and Tableau server. This is the issue. Organisations have put forward business cases for Power BI because it was a cheaper solution based on its original pricing structure. And now it is easily double the price of Qlik and Tableau. Absolutely ridiculous.

D

mim Member

[ Edited ]

@djnww I understand the concerns because I am trying to sell PowerBi to the management since 1 year, but Microsoft did not change the pricing, yes they choose to not enforce some features when you share PRO with free users ( officially it was a bug, but i understand if someone thinks it was deliberate) but the documentation is very clear.

They Know exactly what they are doing, they are pushing corporate to use office 365 E5.  

for me personally my biggest concern is, there is no guaranty that the free features will always stay, Microsoft can always change their mind and remove or limit a free feature, I suppose that's the risk with this new world of cloud ?  

and still for the cloud PowerBI is still the cheapest option, for example tableau online is 40 dollars/month,  how is that cheaper, Qlik cloud is 21 dollars/month. 

Visitor

This morning, in the Share functionality of the dashboard the Power Bi Pro message appears:

"This dashboard contains Power BI Pro content. Only users that have Power BI Pro will have access to it.Learn more

Yesterday it was not there and also there was no changes made to the dashboard/dataset/refreshing options.

The users doesn'e seems to "feel" the consequences yet.

Are you aware of another changes in teh licensing?

Regards,

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Hi @Gabistoica,

You are correct. This is very concerning. I am sure it must be a mistake on Microsoft's part. If sharing is suddenly Power BI PRO content, then Power BI is as good as dead.

@Ajay, can you please confirm why, all of a sudden, sharing Power BI dashboards even on my own workspace now requires Power BI PRO ? I can guarantee you that the dashboards do not contain PRO content.

Update: I can confirm that this is indeed an issue. I published a simple report into My Workspace and it cannot be shared.

D

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

I hade the same experience today. I do not have anything in my reports or dashboards that requires PRO. But PBI-Service still claims that I have PRO-content and that the users that I share with need a PRO-license. I have re-read the licensing setup over and over and can not see that a PRO-license is required. Especially since MS claim that nothing has changed in the licensing setup.

Now even tried to remove everything from service and upload it again (as this is a previous solution for a similar problem), but that does not help. Seems like all sharing is stopped for non-PRO.

But, after checking with a user it seems that sharing still works.

Established Member

The sharing has stopped for non-Pro. Microsoft informed me that this should not be happening are investigating.
Established Member

[ Edited ]
FYI to all,

Microsoft informed me today that big changes to Power BI's licensing agreement are coming in the next few weeks which will alleviate some of the issues we have surrounding sharing of reports and dashboards that everyone is having.

Don't quote me on this, however he hinted that there will be a distinction between PRO and regular users (ie. viewers). I am assuming regular viewers will be a lot cheaper. I'm hoping the current $10 p/m pp stays and doesn't increase either.

D
mim Member

@djnww I hope so, anyway Google Data studio will definitely put some pressure on Microsoft. 

Frequent Visitor

That *sounds* great, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to hear from someone who's actually on Product team at Microsoft. This community is great, but we're left completely in the dark in regards to comminications and support from Microsoft itself.