Frequent Visitor

Re: Fixes to Power BI Pro License Required Dialogs

@guavaq

I dont think Content Packs solves the basic issue of being able to update a report on behalf of an absent colleague, unless I'm missing something.

We used a PowerBI Group Workspace as a sort of "shared folder" in PowerBI Online where I e.g. could upload my .pbix report and share it to other collegaues within our organisation by pinning the Live Tiles to a dashboard.

But let's say I was ill or on vacation and my colleague needed to update this report on my behalf. He could then simply open the .pbix file on our local corporate drive, click Refresh in PowerBI Desktop and then publish it again to our Group Workspace overwriting the existing data online. The link would remain the same and no one would notice.

If I had instead published it to My Personal Workspace my colleague would need to open the local .pbix file, publish it to his Personal Workspace instead. Then create a new Dashboard on his Personal Workspace. Send out a new link to the hundreds or perhaps thousands of read-only end-users, while also informing the users to use this new link untill I get back where they then again should use the old link.

I would love to know if anyone knows a simpler solution to the use-case above. We've had our eye on Scheduled Refresh as well - but this is also a Pro-feature which would then require the hundreds of end-users to get a Pro-license...

[ Edited ]

@Ajay, I hope the comments here are being fed back to management.

It was a very poor decision by Microsoft to suddenly require PRO licensing for consumers of Workgroups without appropriate change management.

1. Microsoft could have easily changed the policy wording to maintain the current status. This way, nobody would have been affected.

2. Can you imagine if an emergency services or a call centre was relying on Power Bi, and their reports were suddenly unavailable without explanation ? This happened to us on go live of a new project. We were running blind for a half a day and had to send 15 staff to observe the project instead of looking at the data.

3. As someone else mentioned, this change is a game changer. Tableau is now a cheaper option for large organisations. We can either spend $100k on Tableau or $1.2million on PowerBI p/yr to provide organisational access, which is COGNOS territory. Please rethink your pricing model. Perhaps consider concurrent licensing.

4. A 60 day trial for Power BI PRO is too short a time frame. Business cases for large organisations can take many months or even up to a year or more. It is not an option. We have had no choice but to republish all our dashboards to individual workspaces to ensure that all staff are catered for.

D

Frequent Visitor

Same exact thing here. We've decided - obviously - to move off the MS platform. Too bad, since it was working great until this change. 

[ Edited ]

@Ajay ok so I just  need some clarification here.

If i have a report, that updates 1 x day using the gateway to do a scheduled refresh of the data into an imported model from a sql server database/ cube, that sits in a shared workspace would i need a pro license for this?

Highlighted
Visitor

Interesting discussion. A couple of additional thoughts.

--This explains why we were so darned confused in the beginning about what kind of licenses we needed. The documentation and the tool WERE in conflict. No wonder. Those are hours our team will never get back.

--It does raise the question of whether we were double-crossed. We sunk a lot of time and energy into working with a product at one price, and now we're going to have to pay a substantial price increase to keep using it. We naturally wonder whether the disconnect between what the tool would allow and what the documentation said was intentional.

--We have found Power BI to be glitchy, but we've been willing to put it up with it because the pricing model was so much better than Tableau's. We felt like we were supporting a well intentioned development team. When we have to buy everyone pro licenses, we'll be much less generous with our good will. I doubt we'll use the tool for the long term now.

--The pricing model may still work for small organizations looking to avoid large upfront costs. But they have to be pretty small.

--The idea that documentation should trump what the tool allows is ridiculous.

--The idea that a shared workspace is a pro feature is ridiculous. Collaboration is a requirement of tools like Power BI. You would not want it to be the domain of a single person!

Hi @Ajay,

Can someone please provide a response to this ? Surely the Licensing structure needs to be reveiwed urgently as you cannot leave existing customers that have built a Power BI ecosystem hanging without any workable/viable solution ?

I attended the recent Gartner conference and this was a major topic at the Microsoft Power BI stand. This topic is already the most popular topic on this forum. You can be assured there are thousands of customers that have not voiced their concerns but are just reading our posts.

Cheers,

D

Frequent Visitor

Crickets

Visitor

Has this topic's problems been on hold forever?

[ Edited ]

@vanessafvgNot only you, but all the users need a pro license. Because workgroups are a "PRO" feature. I think that is completely rubbish. I get that the PRO feature is making a workgroup, but the other free users should just be consumers and shouldn't have to pay for a viewing a report.

@Ajay pls reply, it is totally unacceptable for companies to work like this.

@bisupportMS is just ignoring this.