Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MatthewCarse
Regular Visitor

File:// link in browser no longer shows Copy Link Address option

Hi,

We have a PowerBI Report with file:// links which until this week could be right-clicked and Copy Link Address selected; however, now the only right-click menu option given is Show Data

This occurs in Chrome 66.0.3359.181, Firefox Developer Edition 61.0b6, and Edge 40.15063.674.0. 

Attempting to drag the link also doesn't work.

Is this a possible issue with PowerBI in the browser or a local issue (also occurring on other local machines).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: I have raised a requirement to get this functionality reinstated:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34466266-browser-file-link-to-be-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MatthewCarse,

Maybe you can submit this requirement or vote other similar idea at ideas forum.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sridevin87
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Is there a solution to this issue? I know that this has been raised as a requirement to reinstate again, but is there any further update from Power BI on this issue ?

Can anyone please let me know if they are able to Copy Link Address again ?

Kind regards,

Sridevi Nagabhushanam

sridevin87
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I don't see any solution in the resolution link mentioned.

Is this issue really resolved?

Regards,

Sridevi

Hi again, 

I have raised a requirement to get this functionality reinstated if it's still of interest to you:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34466266-browser-file-link-to-be-...

They didn't offer any workaround or resolution other than raising it as a requirement.

It doesn't seem like Microsoft have any intention of fixing it, so that is as close to a resolution as possible.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @MatthewCarse,

I think power bi may remove this feature so you need to manually copy file address.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your response @v-shex-msft.

The issue here is that the link text cannot be selected and copied either.

When viewing the report in any browser, no text (link or otherwise) can be copied, and as the link can no longer be right-clicked to Copy Link Address, it's lacking this essential functionality. 

The link can be dragged to notepad++ or the data exported to excel, but to have to do either of these things instead of being able to select the text is a pain.

I see there are many other threads requesting the ability to copy and paste e.g. 1, 2, but it doesn't seem like there have been any adequate responses.

Hi @MatthewCarse,

Maybe you can submit this requirement or vote other similar idea at ideas forum.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors