Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dge7009
Frequent Visitor

Figuring out what Datasource a Dataset is using...

We are in the process of rolling out Power BI to our organization and we are using a gateway to connect to our on premise Analysis Services instance. Under the gateway we have setup two data sources, one to DEV and one to PROD. Before, we go live we want to figure out how we can easily determine what data source a report's dataset is pointing at so we can verify whether the appropiate data source DEV versus PROD is used when we deploy to our production workspaces. 

Is there an easy way to do this? 

7 REPLIES 7
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dge7009,

In Power BI desktop, we can check the data source under File -> Options and Settings -> Data Source Settings

1.PNG

In Power BI service, go to the dataset management page (gear icon in top right->Manage personal storage). This will give you the list of datasets and for each dataset it will show relative data source information under 'Data Source Credentials'.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey there Yuliana.. I hope all is well. Thanks for the reply. We tried looking, on the service, where you described and though it will tell you what gateway your dataset is using it doesnt appear to tell you which data source on that gateway your data set is using. That's really what we are trying to get at. We wanted to only have one gateway that serviced our DEV data sources as well as our PROD data sources. Since it doesnt appear that there is a way to see the actual data sources behind data sets at this point. I think we are going to go with two gateways one for DEV data sources and one for PROD data sources.

Let me know if I'm just missing something and thanks again for your kind response.

Hi @dge7009,

Currently, I haven't found a valid solution that allows us to know the actual data sources behind data sets. 

By the way, whay did you mean 'go with two gateways one for DEV data sources and one for PROD data sources'? Did you mean configure more than one on-premise data gateway on the same Windows server? If so, it is impossible as the on-premise gateway runs as a windows service called "PBIEgwService" on the server where it is installed.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey Yuliana. I hope all is well. Thanks for the follow up response and confirming my assumption that this isn't currently possible to see the data sources behind a data set from the service. As for the multiple gateways they are installed on separate boxes. One on our Dev box with all our Dev data sources and one on our production box with all our production data sources. It seems to be working well and we can at least verify we are using dev or production resources by seeing what gateway is being used.

Perhaps I will suggest this as an idea for product enhancement via the forum.

Thanks again!

Hi @dge7009

One way that you could possibly get it to work is to create a Parameter (Server Name) which will be the Server Name.

Then in your Source you can change it from entered Text to a Parameter (Server Name). This will allow you to easily change between DEV and PROD.

Then what you could then do is to create a table which will show you the current Parameter Value. Create a Blank query and put in the following into the Advanced Editor. As with my Example below, my Parameter was called "Server Name" and in the code below the "MyServername" is the column name.

let
    Query2 = #table({"MyServerName"},{{#"Server Name"}})
in
    #"Query2"

Once this loads you will then have your parameter as a table. Which means you can then use this data in your report to show you which Server Name as you would with any other data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hey there Guavaq. I hope all is well. This is an interesting suggestion. Do you know offhand if it will work if we are using a live connection to a multidimensional AS cube? I feel like we have noticed that parameters aren't an option for live connections but I'm still pretty new to Power BI so I might just be missing it.

Hi @dge7009

You are correct when you connect directly to the AS model you do not see any options for the parameters.

I am not sure how you would then change the data source, besides going into the data source settings and changing it there?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors