Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tzvikei
Employee
Employee

Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feedback

This thread was created to gather feedback and communicate over the new Export to PowerPoint (Preview) feature in PowerBI.com.

Ask questions, suggest features, or leave general feedback. We will monitor closely.

Thanks,

Tzvi Keisar

Program Manager, Power BI

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI
295 REPLIES 295
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

A good step towards being able to print high quality images of our reports.

Measures that contain text are chopped off and there are slight alignment issues.

I personally would say concentrate on getting these slight type of bugs fixed first before things like making it interactive.

Willborn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dear Tzvi

Enjoy? After waiting almost a year - I thougth that we get an awsome feature. But the export to PPT is far away of what your customers asked for. The idea was to have a feature enabling us to work more efficient with reports on paper, but what has been released is probably not usable for the most of the 4000+ supporter of the idea. To get the same result, I just print the report as PDF... So there is no benefit - except having single pictures of what I got also with a screenshot. I'm still not able to export the reports in a propper way in our CI/CD, there is no template setting, no filtering, each report with custom visuals is not usable, no export schedule or report subscription.

We continue to print the screen of our 20 page reports filtered for HQ and 18 subsidiaries (360 Screenshots each week) as we had to do before and start looking to a third party tool.

In my opinion, it is just sad that Microsoft can't properly implement their own Office Products into their solution - we faced the same with CRM2011/2016 where we had to implement 3rd party solution to print content to Word/PDF.

Personally, I'm highly disappointed and angry, because I internally "sold" a "solution is coming soon" since April to the management. We have 400+ PBI Pro licences - and are still not able to get the reports properly on paper for management review and official reporting issues.

Regards Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I'm sorry to hear your dissapointment from the feature. The benefit over taking screenshots or printing to PDF is getting single high-resolution images, which you can then use in your own presentation and resize it without it looking pixelated. Looks like this is not the case for you. 

This feature is still in preview and we are working to improve it. custom visuals will be supported.

report subscription is a different ask and already in the works:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7162005-send-report-or-dashboard-...

Thanks,

Tzvi

Tzvi Keisar
Senior Program Manager @ Microsoft Power BI

Standard mscrm connector sales report.

Unable to export to PowerPoint

We couldn't export your report to a PowerPoint file
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID62d4ffed-3fb9-4a50-83b6-d58a08b97a7d
Request IDd8cd770d-f079-eac2-4c59-572ad12f3524
Correlation ID4c58d185-ccde-cac2-6a5d-485a45c678a7
Status code500
TimeTue Oct 18 2016 09:07:11 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.374

Bartosz
Frequent Visitor

Great to hear finally one of most expected feature have been added to PowerBI. Good job!

As others mentioned there are some issues with text objects - does not look nice after export to ppt.

My doubt is also...

What if my visualization can be filtered on many different ways? I would like to choose filters other than current one to be added to my presentation too. Did you consider this?

Gunjan
Regular Visitor

We are able to export some reports in power point but for some reports we are getting following error.We are not using any custom visuals and R visuals in reports.

Activity IDaff2ee5d-f4ab-4697-881e-95f0d03fac6f
Request IDce42b816-6f04-f289-ecd1-d6af7ca88109
Correlation ID49904840-39e3-de82-5d88-ce4e7d7169ea
Status code500
TimeTue Oct 18 2016 11:35:10 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.374

AM
Frequent Visitor

Excellent.... long awaited feature has finally surfaced.

I believe lot of efforts and time have already been invested and I am sure MS team must be working on to further improvise features available as of now. So anxiously look forward to see custom visuals "in action" too with many more.

All Kudos to MS team. 

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I got 2 issues with this feature:

• Could not export with Safari Version 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.10)
  • Custom visual could not be exported

I will go on updating for my observation

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hey Microsoft Team, thought I would post a link to the PowerPoint that was created. I did this with the Ohio Primary and Secondary Education report posted in the Data Stories Gallery so that you can see what the real report looks like versus what was exported. Perhaps that will help you guys troubleshoot some of the issues. 

Great new feature and I hope I don't sound too shocked about how well it worked for me already. But, I was rather pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure how to say that without coming off like I'm dissing you guys but I truly am not!! 🙂

https://1drv.ms/p/s!ApodhCa32_44hsRa_97BlDt9-z4xmg

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for the Power Point Slides function!

1. Please enable custom visuals to work

2. Please enable filtering 

Thank you

Marina
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the work done.

But unfortunately my export did not work well. 

Not all elements are exported, some are missed, alignment is broken, size of elements differs from the original.

In general cannot use it in work yet.

@tzvikei I saw this last night and started playing right away. I experienced why there is a high recommendation to remove background images, will that be a resolved issue in the future or will it always be recommended to keep the images removed?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
ivastard

Activity ID638dc838-acd4-478e-ac0a-c1ff47830a7f
Request ID2ee24a45-88cf-8b1f-d1b2-4792caeaf74e
Correlation IDed4ba30c-4c89-579d-42b1-96bed04d4ead
Status code500
TimeMon Oct 17 2016 21:39:41 GMT+0300 (GTB Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.374

Bgladding
Frequent Visitor

Fantastic!  Looking forward to cross filtering within PP, but absolutely brilliant having this even as a static presentation.

That said, some of my larger, more complex data models don't want to play along.  Getting the following error:

Unable to export to PowerPoint

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDfe827050-8d34-473e-83c7-22b622a44c66
Request ID1a4b002a-454a-b934-f690-3654ef22c57e
Correlation IDf572bdcd-8cd4-1939-89cd-69a36d8164ab
Status code500
TimeMon Oct 17 2016 11:18:02 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.374
Cluster URIhttps://wabi-us-east2-redirect.analysis.windows.net

ahan2
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you very much for the hard work, Microsoft Team!

It would be nice to have custom visuals working and interactive features function in the future! 🙂

ngottier
Regular Visitor

Activity IDb1889d96-d5aa-4b0a-9041-0f2a8838435a
Request IDc8d9396b-982e-25cf-ef10-55c94b8bac08
Correlation ID44f080a2-2813-54f6-108d-3aae41420a94
Status code500
TimeMon Oct 17 2016 14:08:57 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.374
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's pretty slick. It seemed to duplicate some of my Text boxes and some of my card visualizations it didn't seem to honor all of my settings but overall, really, really cool. That's awesome!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I had the same thing with text boxes.  Seems that if a text box is overlapping another chart the image for the chart will pick up the text too.  Overall, it looks great and I'll be able to use this feature right away.  Now hopefully R and custom visuals support will be added shortly.  

Did you find a way around text boxs and cards being duplicated on top of each other?  I am trying to export a report to powerpoint that has a ton of these.

Yeah. I also have noticed that, and one more thing Image / Logo we used are also disappeared in powerpoint.

Any idea of the timing of being able to export with the slicer selections? People (unfortunately) still want to print these things, and since the print functionality is EXTREMELY unusable, exporting to PowerPoint and then printing is really the only option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors