Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exisitng configurations and On premises gateway on migration of local server

Hi,

We are planning to migrate data on one local server to another to perform maintenance activites.
The local server has on-premise management gateway installed.

Image copy of the local server would be taken and written to the other server machine.
All windows services like power bi gateway service would be stopped before making copy of the image.
After writing the image to the new server, we plan to restart the services on the new server machine.

Should I expect any problem if we take the approach mentioned above?
I do not mind if the scheduled data refresh fails during the downtime.

Do I need to un-install and then re-install the gateway on the new server machine?

Thanks & regards,
Mannu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I have not done such action like you plan, but I think you can have a try. In case that the services cannot be started properly in the new server machine. You just need to uninstall and reinstall the on-premises gateway, use the recovery key to migrate an exisiting gateway. The only thing you need to remember is the recovery key.

For this recommended approach, please refer to this official document: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/#configure-a-new-gateway

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are planning to remove a local server in order to perform maintenance activites.
The local server has on-premise management gateway installed.
Image copy of the local server will be taken and written to an alternate machine.

Has anyone tried the above approach and did anyone encounter problems wrt gateway configurations?

I do not mind if the scheduled data refresh fails during the downtime.

But, do I need to un-install and then re-install the gateway?

Thanks & regards,
Mannu

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I have not done such action like you plan, but I think you can have a try. In case that the services cannot be started properly in the new server machine. You just need to uninstall and reinstall the on-premises gateway, use the recovery key to migrate an exisiting gateway. The only thing you need to remember is the recovery key.

For this recommended approach, please refer to this official document: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/#configure-a-new-gateway

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Herbert for your response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors