Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Enterprise Gateway mapped network drive issue

I'm hoping I'm missing something but here's the scenario I encounter when trying to set up Enterprise Gateway.

I built a simple Power BI Dektop file that pulls data from an Excel stored on our company's W drive.

I publish this to PowerBI.com

I have Enterprise Gateway installed, so I set up a data set.  It won't allow me to use W:\  so I have to use the full UNC  \\ABC-SRV-XYZ\\ etc

Then I need to go back to my PBI Desktop file and change my W:  drive source reference to the full UNC, then re-publish.

Then I can select the Enterprise Gateway data source via Scheduled Refresh.

Is this common / are there alternatives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi wynhopkins,

Generally yes. Mapped drives are only available on your machine locally, which is not available on your network, the UNC path is the workable path for the shared drives in your network environment.

Also the error told that "can't connect to the mushup data source." For the gateway service, it won't recognise the W:\ through the network, which is only a shortcut of the shared path on your local machine.

Regards

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ahussnain
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue with a twist: In my network, all computers have mapped drives. And due to policy restrictions, I cannot find the name of the storage server in \\xyz\abc\fn.xls format; it has to be X:\abc\fn.xls and this path is gaurenteed to be available on our Power BI server. I don't have a way of giving a network share path. What do I do?

Hi @ahussnain,  when you say the path is guaranteed to be available on the Power BI server what do you mean?   

I don't think I'm going to have an answer for you but I'm keen to understand the issue.

Are you able to save the Excel file to OneDrive?   Then you don't need Gateway?

We have an on-premise PowerBI Server. All computers on our network/domain use the mapped drives, the drive mapping is built into our SOE (standard operating env) i.e. each computer has S: drive mapped with personal folder, X: drive with folder for each department and thus we can send the file links to each other on X drive instead of sending the attachments. Since PowerBI Server host is also on our network/domain, the path is gauranteed to be availble.

Given the nature of data we deal with, this data can't be placed on cloud.

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi wynhopkins,

Yes this is common.

To have the "W:\" drive be accessed from other places, we need its UNC path.

For the local computer, the drive should be mapped already, so there is no need to use its UNC path locally. Actually when connecting to the network drive, the local NIC is still querying with the UNC.

This is similar to the thread below:

Schedule Data Refresh Issues

If any further help needed, please post back.

Regards

thanks @v-micsh-msft

So while my Power BI desktop file creates a connection based on W:\  I will always need to go into that query and manually change this to the \\SERVER-NAME\etc path if I want to be able to refresh via Gateway?

Hi wynhopkins,

Generally yes. Mapped drives are only available on your machine locally, which is not available on your network, the UNC path is the workable path for the shared drives in your network environment.

Also the error told that "can't connect to the mushup data source." For the gateway service, it won't recognise the W:\ through the network, which is only a shortcut of the shared path on your local machine.

Regards

Hi....

I have the same issue here but even if i use the UNC patch, the gateway doesnt allow me to use these files. It says "No se puede conectar con el origen de datos del mashup"

I think that is beacause when i connect to this share folder, i connect under "Connect using different credentials" option.

And when i tried to connect from power bi service it doesnt allow me to connect using windows credentials neither using "other credentials".

What can i do to solve this?

I'm having the same issue... I can't connect to a shared drive that requires different credentials than my windows login. Help?

Same issue, credentials are for a Synology NAS share, which has its own credentials.

If I could use Windows credentials on the NAS share, I would...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue here with same error on gateway on-premises.

My server is running Linux.
I can map a folder as network drive, but once I try to add on gateway configuration I get this same error.
do you think this is an issue with linux server?
I tried to use both ways: Y:\ or the \\192.168.0.2\folders, but without success.

What should I do?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors