Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise Gateway failed to connect to SQL server with Windows Authenticatoin

Got an existing enterprise gateway data source set up properly connecting to a SQL server using SQL standardard connection. However, when I tried changing to a Window Authentication (windows login and password), it came up with an error like this.

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to [server name]. Details: "Logging into Sql server failed. Possible reasons for this error include an invalid authentication mode, a missing login in Sql server, a login from an untrusted domain or a problem contacting the domain controller for the authentication request."

I have confirmed that I can connect to the SQL server using the window credential via SQL management studio so definitely nothing wrong with the permission. And the gateway is installed on the same server of the SQL server. So assume no firewall issue. The standard connection works anyway. 

Anyone got a clue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft you are right. It must be to do with the DNS name as I found out later that I could connect using IP address.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From the error message, the issue is caused by that the typed server name is not corresponding to the IP address which you can connect to successfully. If you want to configure data source connection use server name, you need to check DNS settings. Please take a look at the article below:

DNS client fails to resolve name

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft you are right. It must be to do with the DNS name as I found out later that I could connect using IP address.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had another try using IP address as the server name and it worked. So it probably is the DNS server issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors