Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jeffwinchell
Helper I
Helper I

Enterprise Gateway - Server Req?

If this product still exists, where is it? If it does not, why does this error message in the current PowerBI mention it and how do I get it to stop generating this error?

I have a live connection between Power BI Pro and an on-premises SSAS Tabular Data Model. I tried to publish it and I got an error message that says:

powerbi_err001.jpg

I had just downloaded Power BI Pro  as well as the on-premises gateway. I saw nothing about enterprise gateways to download. Clicking on that link to learn more about enterprises gateway takes me here
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/
which is just the link to find out about on-premises gateway. I see nothing about enterprise gateways.

There is something called that from over a year ago in preview, but according to the data on the normal gateway link above, the normal on-premises gateway does live connections to SSAS. So why do I get this error message which prevents me from publishing my report/dashboard and there is no current thing called an enterprise gateway to download?

I hope this has nothing to do with it, and it doesn't make people guess answers, but the live data source is SSAS Tabular model on a SQL Server 2017 RC2 (Windows) and on a SQL Server 2016 SP1 installation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jeffwinchell

I just test with latest version of Power BI Desktop and on-premises data gateway, but cannot repro the same issue on my side. Could you please follow below recorded video to configure your Power BI Service and gateway?

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jeffwinchell

I just test with latest version of Power BI Desktop and on-premises data gateway, but cannot repro the same issue on my side. Could you please follow below recorded video to configure your Power BI Service and gateway?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Thank you very much for showing me that video. That worked!

On the minus side, Microsoft needs to make gateway configuration WAY easier. That was absurd.

When you compare that process to how one does a simple sql query to a SQL Server which is always a "live query" by default, or running a Crystal Reports report against SQL Server years ago, Power BI is absurdly complex in its setup.

PCs used to be an escape from system complexity. But Microsoft (and way too many other vendors) have built up layers and layers of unnecessary (in most cases) complexity just to do simple things to get info from a database.

But I'll save that for the next time I talk to a PM at Microsoft. At the moment I'm more focused in talking with them about R and python integration in SQL 2017.

jeffwinchell
Helper I
Helper I

This same error message occurs when I connect DirectQuery to a SQL Server 2017 RC2 database as well as when I try it connecting DirectQuery to a SQL Server 2016 SP1 database.

Maybe the entire live data thing is just broken. But it is hard to believe something so valuable isn't working at all.

@jeffwinchell

Does your issue persist after follow the video?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors