Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rubenvw
Advocate I
Advocate I

Embed URL for displaying Power BI report (in iFrame) not working

Hi all,

Right now it is possible to display Power BI reports within SharePoint Online. The authentication will go automatically, based on the SP user that consumes the report. Every user that views the Power BI report within SharePoint Online needs to have a  Power BI Pro license.

Right now I would like to achieve the same, displaying a Power BI report within an iFrame using the following URL structure: https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<REPORTID>&amp;groupId=<GROUPID>&amp;language=nl-NL&amp...

Unfortunately this URL is not working when I try it outside SharePoint Online. Does someone know how I could create an iFrame that displays a Power BI report and authenticates the user automatically? So it is NOT an option to publish the report to web.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Rubenvw,

Unfortunately this URL is not working when I try it outside SharePoint Online. Does someone know how I could create an iFrame that displays a Power BI report and authenticates the user automatically? So it is NOT an option to publish the report to web. 

The embedded URL for SharePoint can only be used to embed interactive Power BI reports in SharePoint Online pages. 

In your scenario, you can try using Power BI Rest API to embed Power BI dashboards, reports and tiles into your own app(embedding with Power BI users) which can authenticate the user automatically. Smiley Happy

Reference:

What can developers do with Power BI

Embed your Power BI dashboards, reports and tiles

Power BI Developer samples

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to Power bi, could you please tell us, what is group id here?

When i generate the Embedded URL in the PowerBI service for SHarepoint online, i can't see groupid?

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Thanks for your reply.

What I would like to achieve is embedding Power BI Tiles within a Dynamics 365 form. For examples: When I have an account form, I would like to display a Power BI tile that has been filtered based on the context (Filter: account = Contoso).

Is it also possible to achieve this using the Power BI REST API?

Hi @Rubenvw,

Yes, it could be possible. Power BI REST API Embedding also supports RLS. For more details, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

Row level security (RLS) can be used to restrict user access to data within dashboards, tiles, reports, and datasets. Multiple, different users can work with those same artifacts all while seeing different data.

Regards

I did it in an iframe and it worked perfectly. The code I used is below (cutting out work stuff)

<Style>

iframe {
position:absolute;
top:0;
right:0px;
width:100%;
height:100%;
box-sizing: border-box; -moz-box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-box-sizing: border-box;
}

</style>

<body style="margin:0px;padding:0px;">
    <iframe src="HTML Link here" name="test" style="overflow:hidden;" width="100%" height="100%" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</body>

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors