Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomrasdf

Editing Workbooks Shared from App Workspace

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some help with how I might provide users with access to a group file library through a Power BI App.

I have several files that contain pivot tables.  I want folks to be able to open them in an offline Excel instance from the app workspace.  However, the "Edit" option is greyed out, with the tooltip "Editing isn't supported for shared workbooks."

Capture.PNG

I tried adding a link in the spreadsheet to the location of the file in the group library, but I receive the following when I click on the link:

Capture.PNG+

Anyone had experience with that that could offer some guidance?

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tomrasdf

I came up with a simple workaround solution.

Rather than adding the workbook to the app workspace, I added a page to a report with a text box containing links to files saved in OneDrive.  Only those with access to the app have access to the links, and I am able to set the permissions for the link to view-only.

So far, this solution has fit my needs!

Thanks to all who offered guidance.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tomrasdf

I came up with a simple workaround solution.

Rather than adding the workbook to the app workspace, I added a page to a report with a text box containing links to files saved in OneDrive.  Only those with access to the app have access to the links, and I am able to set the permissions for the link to view-only.

So far, this solution has fit my needs!

Thanks to all who offered guidance.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tomrasdf,

Can you ensure you are currently set the app workspace permissions and roles? Does this workbook contains other data source connection in it? Please share more contents about this issue.

In addition, current only the app owner can edit the app content.

Reference link:

Create and distribute an app in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @tomrasdf,

Can you ensure you are currently set the app workspace permissions and roles? Does this workbook contains other data source connection in it? Please share more contents about this issue.

In addition, current only the app owner can edit the app content.

Reference link:

Create and distribute an app in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

I have several workbooks in the app workspace; one has a connection to one of the datasets in the app and the others have no connections.  

I think I understand that app workspace members cannot edit app content; does that apply to workbooks as well?  

HI @tomrasdf,

If your app workspace has setting to each member can edit, then all members will have the edit permission.

I can edit the workbooks which in the app workspace.

5.PNG

6.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Are the users members of the App Workspace?

And do they also have permissions to the Excel workbook?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for your response - 

The users are members of the App Workspace.

Yes - the users do have permissions to view and edit the Excel workbook.

Ideally, I would like users to be able to only open read-only copies of the workbooks in the App, but I have tried granting edit permissions to the individual group members to try to give them access to the file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors