Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anti
Regular Visitor

Dynamics NAV 2017 cannot connect to PowerBI content pack

Hi,

I wanted to test PowerBI Dynamics NAV content pack connection with Dybamics NAV 2017 (located my laptop) but unfortunately cannot connect.

I have tried almost every combinations:

- Personal and on-premise gateway

- SSL enabled and disabled (HTTPS or HTTP)

- Windows authentication (somehow in PowerBI OData feed there is for Windows only WindowsWithoutImpersonation choice, but I tried this and also basic)

- NAVUserPassword (in OData feed I used Basic)

I can create report and connection in PowerBIDesktop, load file to powerbi.com site and refresh it with every given combinations and with both gateways.

But I don't have any success with connecting to NAV content pack (Get Data/Services/Microsoft Dynamics NAV).

I have looked up also following conditions:

- My OData link is working in browser and also for uploaded report (in powerbi.com site)

- I have all the needed pages and queries published and with same names (ItemSalesAndProfit, ItemSalesByCustomer, powerbifinance, SalesDashboard, SalesOpportunities, SalesOrdersBySalesPerson, TopCustomerOverview) and they have records inside

- I have published also KPI webservice for powerbifinance

After entering credentials for OData feed it just stays looping (I've had waited more than 15 minutes) and I can't get any error message just cancelling at the end.

Could anyone have some idea how can I get it working?

Thanks in advance,

Anti

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In this blog post it says that "You need admin credentials (or at least permissions to sales and finance data) for your Microsoft Dynamics NAV account. Only Basic (Username and Password) authentication is currently supported."

In our use case we use Office 365 account (Instead of Navuser name and Password) as authentification so it does not work?

Hi anadu, that is correct. you cannot use Office 365 login. You will a NAV instance (NST) with NavUserPassword authentication. The user in NAV shouls have a username (obviously) and web service auth key which you use as a password in PowerBI content pack (instead of using the actual password for the user).  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, we've managed to figure that out by ourselves at meantime also.

It had been a while since I'd connect Nav to anything and was trying to use the Web Service Key to login trough Web API.

Smiley Embarassed

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anti,

After entering credentials for OData feed it just stays looping (I've had waited more than 15 minutes) and I can't get any error message just cancelling at the end.

In this case, you could get the traces by using fiddler and make further analysis. Please refer to this video for how to tracing.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft,

Thanks for suggestion.

I tried to do tracing with Fiddler but unfortunately I'm not good in reading these results and understanding what's wrong from there. I'll add this session log here:

Fiddler_sessions.png

I can see that gateway lines are showing some errors but I can't understand the problem. These lines #7 and #8 responses are saying just code=Unknown Error".

I  have on-premise gateway installed and it's working correctly with my uploaded file and also in "Manage gateways" section are both gateway and data source OK. I'm using the same data source for connecting with Dynamics NAV content pack but without success.

I did look also Fiddler log #5 response logs and maybe there is something more interesting:Response_5.png

I don't know whether it's OK that it shows here two gateways. The second one is correct but what is this first one? 

If I'm looking Fiddler log rows #7 and #8 then there is gateway number 429496 that is an empty gateway. The same is with datasources. In Fiddler log it shows in response also two datasources and second is the correct one but log rows #7 and #8 are using the first one.

Thanks in advance,

Anti

I'm running into the same issue using NAV 16, except I just have an On Premise gateway installed. Once I type in the OData url  and my username and password, it just hangs. I saw some posts where I may need to install the Personal gateway but my installation fails for that option. Any advice on how to resolve this? I really need to get this NAV Content Pack.

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue to install the pack. ( with Power BI Gateway installed ) ...

No problem appears to get contents by url (with OData or Odatav4)

Did you solve the problem until now ?

Thanks

Anti
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Unfortunately couldn't get it working and haven't tried no more. 

Best Wishes

Anti

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors