Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BrianC
Frequent Visitor

Do I have to manually refresh my dashboard for non-pro users?

So I'm aware that if any part of my dashboard contains a "pro" feature, then my non-pro users cannot view it. I also read that one pro feature is:

"Data from a dataset that connects to on-premises data using the Power BI Gateway - Personal or the On-premises Data Gateway, and for which a scheduled refresh is set."

I have set up gateway. Does that meant that if I intend to have non-pro users view my dashboard, I literally have to click refresh every day in order for the data to stay up to date?

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BrianC,

If your dashboard contains data that connects to on-premises data using Power BI Gateway, the no-pro users will not be able to view the content in your dashboard.

The users you shared dashboard with can try the 60-day free trial of Power BI Pro, or you can use "publsih to web" to generate link of your report and send the no-pro users this link.

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure my non-pro users are able to view my dashboard, and it accesses data on an on prem gateway. The data however is not automatically refreshing.

@BrianC What is the data source?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

SQL Server, import

Hi @BrianC,

I test the sceanrio as yours, when I share the dashboard to a free Power BI user, I get the following warning "Only users that have Power BI Pro will have access to it". However, I reproduce your issue the free user can view content in the dashboard.
1.PNG

I suspect that in this scenario, free users can view static data but not refreshed data which utilizing gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@BrianC My personal opinion then is that this is a bug, and won't work for much longer. There has never been a concept of showing end users a "Snapshot" of data shared from a Pro user. Unless some big change is coming, I would assume this works only temporarily.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Well I certainly can't build my entire business model on a bug. It would be nice to get confirmation on this soon. Do Microsoft employees view these forums?

Hi @BrianC

I have played with this and from my experience is that if you have your data connected to a Gateway, but you have not enabled the Scheduled Refresh, then Free users can still access the reports.

As soon as you enable the Scheduled Refresh, the Free users will then get prompted that it is now a Pro feature and will require a license. 

That is how it currently works for me, and I have tested both scenario's as described above.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@BrianC I'm going to try to get confirmation on this, but I'm pretty sure just installing the gateway and refreshing data requires a Pro license. The symantics of "schedule a refresh" are what gets me with this post vs. other references where it just states the gateway is a Pro feature. And I don't have the free test accounts to test this quick, but I can say,

"IF" you can use the gateway for free (which I don't think you can), then "yes" you would have to manually refresh the data set in order for end users not to need a Pro license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors