Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kliberty
Frequent Visitor

Desktop Features in Web Version

Some of the most useful desktop features don't appear in the web service, and that seems really impractical. Some of the features I'm thinking of are hierarchies that don't stay in place when you publish to the web, and the "sort by" feature in desktop, where you can sort a column by a metric in a different column (such as months sort chronologically instead of alphabetically). It's really frustrating that these features disappear from your dashboard when you publish it up to the web. 

Am I just doing something wrong? Or are these features just not availabe in the web version yet? I know with hierarchies you can (sort of) rebuild them once your in the web service, but that just seems like extra work when you've already built it in the desktop version. And I can't find anything that would allow me to sort by another column once it's in the web version. 

Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm not sure why you're trying to alter these things in the web service. You can republish an existing data set from the desktop.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm not sure why you're trying to alter these things in the web service. You can republish an existing data set from the desktop.

I know, but when I publish the dataset, my hierarchies don't carry over, nor do my "sort by" selections. They reset to what they were prior to applying those changes, and my visuals based on the hierarchy break. 

They shouldn't. Mine don't. That's the whole point of re-publishing. Unless you're sharing it as a content pack and something is going on there I don't know any reason it would not carry those changes through. You do sometimes need to wait a few minutes after publishing and reload the page to pick up all the changes.

Okay, this is weird, because when the visual uploaded before it was all messed up, but I just republished again (the new visual wasn't in the original dataset), and now the changes seem to have stuck. That's weird. Thanks for the input!

Yeah sometimes if you make severe changes it will appear to break immediately after you publish but if you wait like two minutes and reload the page it should be fine. It takes some time for all the changes to propagate out it seems.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors