Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jameslo30
Advocate III
Advocate III

Dates show as (Blank) in app.powerbi.com, but not in Desktop

Hi,

I have a problem with a report where on the app.powerbi.com service, it continually loses it's date reference. It replaces every date reference to "(Blank)".

It does NOT do this in the Desktop version.

When I publish it to the app.powerbi.com site, it keeps the date until you move to another report, then back again (or press the refresh button).

The date table is being pulled from the same server on a different database. However, it connects and pulls data fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? - Highly annoying!!!

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have resolved the issue.

For some reason, adding the "Date" > "Month" > "Month of Name" column via the "Add Column" in Query Editor caused the problem.

Fix:

(My Date Table already has a Month Number)

I added a conditional column that looked at the Month number (i.e. 4) and made the output "Month Name" (i.e. April)

ConditonalMonth.PNG

Report refreshes fine and keeps the Month Name in the report.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@jameslo30

I haven't reproduced your issue.

7.PNG

8.PNG

What's your data source? What's the data type and format of that date column in your source?

Can you share some screenshots?

Regards,

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

The data source is read from a local SQL server database using the Data Gateway Connector.

See screenshot below for the date types

Hopefully you can see this 

Picture 1. PowerBI Desktop (values are fine)

Problem1.png

Picture 2 Date Table

Problem2.png

Picture 3 - PowerBI Web (missing values)

Problem3.png

When I re-publish the report, the values show up for about 10 seconds, until you switch reports and come back to it. They then disappear!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

Actually, I've just noticed it does it on a Data Refresh rather than switching between reports. It's almost as-if it gives up half way between collecting the data? - Although it's a successful refresh. 

I have resolved the issue.

For some reason, adding the "Date" > "Month" > "Month of Name" column via the "Add Column" in Query Editor caused the problem.

Fix:

(My Date Table already has a Month Number)

I added a conditional column that looked at the Month number (i.e. 4) and made the output "Month Name" (i.e. April)

ConditonalMonth.PNG

Report refreshes fine and keeps the Month Name in the report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors