Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bolashd
Frequent Visitor

Dataset Security

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding dataset security in both service and desktop.

• Are there any security options for datasets?
    • For example, is it possible to restrict access (no reading or writing) to a dataset while still allowing the editing of reports and dashboards?
    • Assuming this is possible, would there be any functionality limitations? For instance, could caluclated columns still be created?
  • Is it possible to restrict manually refreshing datasets? I'd like certain datasets to be limited to a refresh schedule and others to be manually refreshed via end user?

Thank you,

Dane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bolashd,

Generally, there are two main parts of Power BI. They are Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. (We won't talk about Mobile and Embedded here). 

Dataset only can be manipulated in Desktop. (Add calculated columns and measures.) Service is the powerful tool to share the work. We can create new reports with Service. But we can't change the dataset in Service. I think this suit the most needs.

So create a model with Desktop, then publish to Service. Power BI have several ways of sharing. I think the App workspace (preview) would be a good idea for your scenario. An app workspace contains all the things, including dashboards, reports, workbook, and dataset (can't be modified). We publish to the special audiences or the whole organization when we finish a prebuilt solution. We can add members who are going to customize the solution to the App and grant others read-only access. So one dashboard will be the prebuilt, users can built another one. Both the dashboard can share the same reports. Reference: powerbi-service-create-apps

content-packs almost do the same thing of App workspace. If a user want to customize, the user have to make a copy.

I just post something most related to the scenario. There are more details. Please take these thing into consider: We can't manipulate dataset in the Service. If we want the user to customize the dataset, they also can change the whole dataset.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bolashd,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sure thing!

Sorry new to the community here. Thanks again for your help.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@bolashd

Hi Dane,

I think this is a big question. Many things are different between Desktop and Service in different scenarios. Let me try to answer it one by one.

1. Yes, there are.

1.1 In Power BI Service, we can't access the dataset directly and can't handle dataset (no writing). We can create reports and dashboards. There are several situations.

1). Share dashboard. Read only. No changes will be saved.

2). App workspace. Depends on settings.

3). Content pack. User can create their only copies.

4). Publish to web. Read only.

5). Etc.

In Power BI Desktop. User can access the data source can handle the dataset. If the dataset was already imported, people who get the file can handle. 

1.2 Calculated columns only be create in Desktop.

2. It's hard to get this in one way.

This is just a little summary. It's complicated in different scenario and different settings. Could you please share your scenario? That would be easy to find a solution or a workaround?

Best Regards!

Dale 

Hi Dale,

Thank you for the quick and thorough response.

Our scenario is as follows:

• We are ultimately using Power BI as an adhoc reporting solution for our end users.
  • One requirement is to lock down the dataset so it cannot be edited. This effort will prevent the end users from upsetting the data structure causing them undesireable results. Ideally, we would like them to be able to see the data structure, but this can be provided through other means.
  • Another requirement is to provide the end users with prebuilt solutions (consisting of reports, dashboards, etc.) that cannot be edited with the idea that they can create whatever they want in addition to the provided solutions.
    • This is why I inquired about the calculated columns. We want them to have full freedom to leverage they data as they see fit, without changing it. (In contrast, I would think that creating new measures would be okay as they simply aggregate the data, but don't change its structure.)

To summarize, we want our end users to be able to fully utilize Power BI for their adhoc reporting needs without changing the data structure or provided solutions.

As a potential solution, would it be possible to provide the data and prebuilt solutions (read-only access) through a Power BI app and the ability to create custume solutions within the same workspace?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dane

Hi @bolashd,

Generally, there are two main parts of Power BI. They are Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. (We won't talk about Mobile and Embedded here). 

Dataset only can be manipulated in Desktop. (Add calculated columns and measures.) Service is the powerful tool to share the work. We can create new reports with Service. But we can't change the dataset in Service. I think this suit the most needs.

So create a model with Desktop, then publish to Service. Power BI have several ways of sharing. I think the App workspace (preview) would be a good idea for your scenario. An app workspace contains all the things, including dashboards, reports, workbook, and dataset (can't be modified). We publish to the special audiences or the whole organization when we finish a prebuilt solution. We can add members who are going to customize the solution to the App and grant others read-only access. So one dashboard will be the prebuilt, users can built another one. Both the dashboard can share the same reports. Reference: powerbi-service-create-apps

content-packs almost do the same thing of App workspace. If a user want to customize, the user have to make a copy.

I just post something most related to the scenario. There are more details. Please take these thing into consider: We can't manipulate dataset in the Service. If we want the user to customize the dataset, they also can change the whole dataset.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors