Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RWFrederick
Frequent Visitor

Dataset Refresh Failure via On-prem Gateway Data Source

I've created a new Data Source using "Manage Gateways."  This setup shows the "Connection Successful" message.  I've created a new report in Power BI Desktop, carefully created the Get Data connection in the same way, and published to the web.  I mapped the new dataset's Scheduled Refresh to use the On-prem Gateway via the radio button and selected the appropriate time-based refresh schedule.

When this dataset attempts to run via "Refresh Now" I receive a "Invalid connection credentials" message instantly.  My account owns the Workspace (as Admin), owns the Gateway (as Admin), and belongs to the Data Source (via Users).

When this datasets attempts to run via its Schedule it runs for 10+ minutes before returning "Invalid connection credentials."

If I run the query locally, in SSMS, using the same credentials as the Data Source the SQL returns correct data in just a few seconds.

We see no corresponding error message within the Sql Server logs.  This implies the query has never escaped from the cloud.

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@RWFrederick

Please "Edit credentials" in dataset setting. Then try to refresh the dataset to see if it works. 

22.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

RWFrederick
Frequent Visitor

It's been months since my first post but I wanted to follow-up for other users that might find this thread.  The "marked solution" in my case was not a solution.  See the screenshot that shows manual edit of credentials isn't even an option for a dataset granted access to the Data Source.

The root cause:

Server name mismtach between our listener's certificate and the target priamry instance in our cluster.

The solution:

(1) Easy, short-term: create a Data Source connection directly to the primary instance using the FQDN (though defeates the purpose of our HA cluster).

(2) Medium, long-term: update & manage the certificate on the listner.

Data Source Credentials.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RWFrederick
Frequent Visitor

It's been months since my first post but I wanted to follow-up for other users that might find this thread.  The "marked solution" in my case was not a solution.  See the screenshot that shows manual edit of credentials isn't even an option for a dataset granted access to the Data Source.

The root cause:

Server name mismtach between our listener's certificate and the target priamry instance in our cluster.

The solution:

(1) Easy, short-term: create a Data Source connection directly to the primary instance using the FQDN (though defeates the purpose of our HA cluster).

(2) Medium, long-term: update & manage the certificate on the listner.

Data Source Credentials.PNG

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@RWFrederick

Please "Edit credentials" in dataset setting. Then try to refresh the dataset to see if it works. 

22.PNG

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors