Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

faizanahmad
Helper I
Helper I

Data capacity for Application Work space on Premium Capacity Node

I need information/suggesstions on using capacity.

We have P1  which is 8 v cores. It also shows that we have Em1 -1 , EM2 2cores, Em3- cores.

Now, when I choose P1 to create capacity , it shows cores 8 of 8used.

Does this mean that I do not have any more capacities? Or can I just add another capacity under the same P1 core?

Please help. Also, P1 vs EM1? what i sthe actual difference?

*** I created a capacity using P1. Now, set up capacity is greyed out. So, I cant create another capacity.

Now, is there a limit of how many workspaces can I assign to a capacity? Also, If I assign 3 capacities (all different groups), will the content be private?Or will it be shared by all the workspaces in the capacity?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@faizanahmad

If you want to create P node, you need to add other capacity under P1 core. 

• P nodes can be used for embedded or service deployments
  • EM nodes can be used for embedded deployments only

EM is a "lite" Premium license which is mainly for Power BI Embedded. There's no number of workspaces limitation in capacity. It just works like an own "Power BI Service" for your organization only. Each user has their own workspace. 

For more details, please refer to links below: 

Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

Power BI Premium - what is it?

Regards,

View solution in original post

@v-sihou-msft

Thanks a lot.

After I created a node capacity using P1, the option of using EM nodes are gone as well because I have used all the 8 cores available in P1.

And from your reply I understood, that I can assign different workgroups to the capaicty I created using P1 core. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@faizanahmad

If you want to create P node, you need to add other capacity under P1 core. 

• P nodes can be used for embedded or service deployments
  • EM nodes can be used for embedded deployments only

EM is a "lite" Premium license which is mainly for Power BI Embedded. There's no number of workspaces limitation in capacity. It just works like an own "Power BI Service" for your organization only. Each user has their own workspace. 

For more details, please refer to links below: 

Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

Power BI Premium - what is it?

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-sihou-msft I am working on this Power BI Enterprise process. I am a Power BI Admin, and assign the Dev Workspace to Premium, however, I have to setup the Premium Capacity, and if i want to assign the Capacity Admin to the Dev Workspace, whom it should be. Can it Power BI Developer who's publishing the content to Dev workspace, which was created by Power BI Admin. Any suggestion please? 

@v-sihou-msft

Thanks a lot.

After I created a node capacity using P1, the option of using EM nodes are gone as well because I have used all the 8 cores available in P1.

And from your reply I understood, that I can assign different workgroups to the capaicty I created using P1 core. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@faizanahmad I am working on this Power BI Enterprise process. I am a Power BI Admin, and assign the Dev Workspace to Premium, however, I have to setup the Premium Capacity, and if i want to assign the Capacity Admin to the Dev Workspace, whom it should be. Can it Power BI Developer who's publishing the content to Dev workspace, which was created by Power BI Admin. Any suggestion please? 

@Anonymous

Capacity admin is the one who can add or remove workspaces from the capacity. So, it will be you. NOw, you can also add your supervisor. You do not need to add individuals from different groups. 

Next, the workspace you assign premium/ or the one you create, will have the option of workspace admin. You can add the users who create workspace there.

Note: It is really easy to add/remove users from admin in workpsaces and capacities. This does no harm.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@faizanahmad Thanks for your clarification, but I still need a little clarification on this 

:Next, the workspace you assign premium/ or the one you create, will have the option of workspace admin. You can add the users who create workspace there

It's me as a Power BI Admin who created the Dev App workspace, and adding other Power BI Pro user (Power BI developer), and If I want to assign other person as an Admin of that Dev App workspace can it be possible? and whom it should be on enterprise level? Can it be a supervisor? 

@Anonymous

Yes.

You as power bi admin, assign a workspace ABC to premium.

You can add diffent users to this workspace. Out of the users, there should be a prime/supervisor. You can add those as admin. The workpsace may have multiple admin. This admin can edit workspace, add/remove users. In my case I assign the immediate manager of that group as admin along with their business prime. My organistaion uses O365. So, in my case they already have individual groups. You can easily assign the existing workpsace to premium or create new one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors