Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jmdh
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Data Refresh working from Data set created in Service but not from Published Desktop Pbix

I have an Excel file stored on OneDrive for business.

1) When i use it in desktop with Get Data>Excel and thenpublish to Service, the default Datset setting is going through my Personal Gateway.

2) When i access this same file from the service (Get Data > Files > Onedrive-Business ) the Dataset created is showing OneDrive Refresh ...and refreshes work like a dream

Can anyone explain?

On top of this the Default to the Gateway in 1) is an issue since i have uninstalled it but somehow it is still "seen" (and Microsoft support ihas been working on this other issue unsuccessfully for over 4 weeks)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jmdh

Please get data through Web but not Excel as this document. Then you should be able to refresh without gateway.

Data Refresh working from Data set created in Service but not from Published Desktop Pbix_1.jpg

After you uninstall the personal gateway, you still see it in Dataset setting but it should be displayed as offline. You can just ignore it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jmdh

Please get data through Web but not Excel as this document. Then you should be able to refresh without gateway.

Data Refresh working from Data set created in Service but not from Published Desktop Pbix_1.jpg

After you uninstall the personal gateway, you still see it in Dataset setting but it should be displayed as offline. You can just ignore it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Many thanks.

It works and i had tried it.
However i believe that the documentation on Data refresh is very misleading and that the processs is incredibly cumbersome for new users.
For me the product should change and allow "onedrive like" connections as well as "local file " connections (a little bit like in the Service).

Documentation also states that the PBIx on Onedrive is refreshed hourly and i still have not seen it working...

Thanks again

Jmdh

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors