Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ElliotP
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Data Refresh Failed, Published to Web

Evening,

I've published my reports to the web and setup the scheduled refresh. It's failed now a few times and listed these two reasons;

Data source type:	
Processing error:	Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation.
Cluster URI:	WABI-AUSTRALIA-SOUTHEAST-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:	ef7e4815-404f-410a-aed1-0c90ea5f4326
Request ID:	ed322d18-99e5-4822-8b7c-209f58bedd64
Time:	2017-08-12 18:08:46Z
The refresh operation failed because it took more than 120 minutes to complete. Consider reducing the size of your dataset or breaking it up into smaller datasets.

Cluster URI:	WABI-AUSTRALIA-SOUTHEAST-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:	1f5d244c-2dd2-4ef9-a5b0-ed6b3b90632e
Request ID:	6539095c-b648-4e03-8d4c-23d05e783bda
Time:	2017-08-12 22:22:56Z

The reports contain no errors in powerbi desktop and refresh on my desktop seamlessly.

From the error messages and looking around the forums, reducing the size of my dataset would help. The .pbix has a lot of calculated columns (a lot) from development amongst other things which might be slowing down the processing/speed ability. I was curious if anybody knew a solution, if it was possible to upgrade past this issue in terms of processing capability/time or if I simply need to clean up my .pbix and reduce my dataset to a certain amount (would love a refrence).

I have Powerbi pro, but I'm having an issue with the ticketing system that I'm currently working on resolving in another thread.

Warm Regards

1 REPLY 1
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@ElliotP,

When you create a data model in Power BI, you should consider how to properly use naming convention and what columns to include, in order to improve usability and performance. Here is an article provides a quick list of best practices valid for both Power BI and Power Pivot. Please refer to the link below.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/data-import-best-practices-in-power-bi/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors