Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard - linking to a report using only a textbox-tile

Hello,

I just talked with an MS support engineer regarding this matter that i thought was a bug.
Apparently this is working as intended but i cant really get my head around this "issue" i am facing, so i want to know if some of you got any thoughts about this.

So.. I want to be able to create a blank dashboard using only a textbox-tile linking to a specific report within the current workspace and then as a SHARED user(or allow others) be able to access this report.

This is not possible unless you also have a pinned visual from the very same report on you dashboard. If you add this, then both tiles works as i want them to, but not if i remove the pinned tile(s).

Does anyone know any way to work around this issue?

I want to create custom text labels linking to specific reports from a dashboard without having to create a specific visual on the report showing this information and then pin it to the dashboard.

I am a bit confused to why this function exists if it is not possible to use as descibed in the textbox-tile settings(details).

Any help or input on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

This is a known issue. Currently there is no way to share a report with a user unless there is an artifact of the report in a shared dashboard. That is why you need to pin a visual from corresponding report to the shared dashboard.

PG has filed a defect for this issue on their side. CRI: 43816352

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Per my understanding, the textbox-tile is not designed to link to a report. When we only add a textbox-tile on dashboard and specify the report URL for it, those recepients still have no access to report even we have shared dashboard with them. However, if we share a dashboard which contains report visual tiles, end users are granted with report access permission, in other words, report is shared with them together with dashboard.

Based on my test, adding a web page URL for textbox-tile can locate to the correct page when sharing a dashboard that contains only textbox-tile.

1.PNG

Based on this behavior, you could work around this problem by publishing report to web, and paste the published URL as textbox-tile link. But you should be aware that the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer @v-yulgu-msft

Just to clarify once more. I am referring to the built in function that would allow you to link a tile to a specific report within the current workspace, not creating a custom text URL as a link to a specific report.

I understand that access persmissions will be a problem if using a text-URL in a texbox.  

However when using a custom text in a textbox and then linking that textbox to a report using the built in "Custom link" function and more specifically using the "Link to a dashboard or a report within the current workspace" parameter, i cant see a reason to why this is not supposed to create a link to the assigned report.

See attached image below.

Or am i misunderstanding its purpose?

Regards
Max

Textbox-tile01.jpg

@Anonymous are there reports available in the dropdown when you click on Custom Link then "Link to a Dashboard orReport..." ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tadder Yes they are. I just edited them out before posting.

Thank you for trying!

Regards

Max

Hi @Anonymous,

This is a known issue. Currently there is no way to share a report with a user unless there is an artifact of the report in a shared dashboard. That is why you need to pin a visual from corresponding report to the shared dashboard.

PG has filed a defect for this issue on their side. CRI: 43816352

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thank you for your confirmation on this issue.
Has this been reported in the past or is this a new issue (CRI)?

Do you by any chance have any news on when we can see a fix for this?

Best regards

Max

Hi @Anonymous,

This is a known issue that has been reported in Auguest 2017. Currently, I haven't get the news when this problem will be fixed. Please be patient. 

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Dears, isn't there yet a solution to this phenomena? Have the same issue...

Tadder
Helper II
Helper II

Are you saying the dashboard pin gets deleted when you remove the "temporary" visual from the report?  I have done this several times and the pin remains on the dashboard...  please clarify.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tadder Thank you for your response. Im sorry if i didnt manage to explain properly.

The textbox-tile is still on the dashboard, but when a shared user clicks that tile the link does not work.
In other words nothing happens and the user is not taken to the report EXCEPT if there also is a pinned visual from the very same report. In that case both tiles work - but that is not what i am trying to achieve.

When trying to use a direct link to the report the user gets prompted with an error saying the report could not be found.

Its acting as if there is no connection between the dashboard and the report. 
But as a dashboard owner you are still able to access the report when clicking the textbox-tile, whitout the need of having a pinned tile from the same report. 

@Anonymous hmmm.  I see what you're saying now.  That is interesting and will need to be something I do when checking for issues on our site.  This seems more like a bug fix to me, the link should stay with the dashboard visual no matter what.  When you click on the 3-dots in the corner do you see the "Go To Report" text (when you're logged in as the other user, I mean) ?.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tadder Yes i am able to see the text "GO TO URL" when logged in as the other user, but when clicking it only closes the overlay as if im clicking the x.

ok.  have you tried linking it manually?  see jpg attached

link to report.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tadder Yea, i have tried both link types with the same result.

Just to clarify. I am talking about a textbox-tile that is created from the dashboard and not from the report.

Yes, with the Dashboard tile, or a pin from a report.  Either way you should be able to set a custom link to a report.  If it's not working with other users, then I'm not sure, sorry.  😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors