Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

denishdens
Frequent Visitor

Dashboard Version control

Currently, we have business Pro users, creating Dashboard and distributing with other peers and we just do not have any control on this. The way we could prevent is to revoke the ability create Dashboard from PowerBI service. 

Just a few questions I have,

• How do we manage version control on Dashboard? as it is a pinned items from a report. 
  • How do we apply Application Lifecycle Management (Dev --> Test --> Prod cycle) for Dashboard
  • How can we stop Pro user to create dashboard? Can we disable "Dashboard" feature

Just an fyi, I work for goverment and would like to apply Governance within the department so that we can manage and do Audit. 

Also, we have a large group of Pro users (Self-service reporting). 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Denish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@denishdens,

Hi Denish,

>>>How do we manage version control on Dashboard? as it is a pinned items from a report. 

On my opinion, there is no needs of version control on Dashboard. Dashboard is a collection of items that we'd like to see. So if we want it, add it.  The reports are always there whether we add it or not.

Maybe version control could be applied on roles. For instance, Dashboard for Mayor, Dashboard for Secretary.

>>>How do we apply Application Lifecycle Management (Dev --> Test --> Prod cycle) for Dashboard

As I mentioned in the first answer, Dashboard is a collection. We need to make sure the items are correct before we pin them to the Dashboard.

>>>How can we stop Pro user to create dashboard? Can we disable "Dashboard" feature

Dashboard is a basic part of Power BI. I can't find a way to disable it. I think this isn't necessary. If users have reports and all the items, who will care if they can build a Dashboard or not. They still can share them through APP workspace.

Notes: 

1. I think the best way to control is restricting the access to the data source. If they can't access the databases or the files, they can't create a report, neither the Dashboard.

2. Build a team to create reports and Dashboards. Others only can view them. If users have special needs, submit a request.

3. You can open Audit setting in the Admin portal.Dashboard Version control.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@denishdens

Hi Denish,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@denishdens,

Hi Denish,

>>>How do we manage version control on Dashboard? as it is a pinned items from a report. 

On my opinion, there is no needs of version control on Dashboard. Dashboard is a collection of items that we'd like to see. So if we want it, add it.  The reports are always there whether we add it or not.

Maybe version control could be applied on roles. For instance, Dashboard for Mayor, Dashboard for Secretary.

>>>How do we apply Application Lifecycle Management (Dev --> Test --> Prod cycle) for Dashboard

As I mentioned in the first answer, Dashboard is a collection. We need to make sure the items are correct before we pin them to the Dashboard.

>>>How can we stop Pro user to create dashboard? Can we disable "Dashboard" feature

Dashboard is a basic part of Power BI. I can't find a way to disable it. I think this isn't necessary. If users have reports and all the items, who will care if they can build a Dashboard or not. They still can share them through APP workspace.

Notes: 

1. I think the best way to control is restricting the access to the data source. If they can't access the databases or the files, they can't create a report, neither the Dashboard.

2. Build a team to create reports and Dashboards. Others only can view them. If users have special needs, submit a request.

3. You can open Audit setting in the Admin portal.Dashboard Version control.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Is there a feature to turn off "Dashboard sharing"?

Hi @denishdens,

No such settings.

Best Regards!

Dale

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @denishdens

As far as I am aware this is currently not part of the Power BI offering.

The only work around I could think of is that users who are allowed to create and distribute Dashboards do it via an App, which gets created in an App Workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors