Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hitzand
Advocate II
Advocate II

Custom data colors reverting to default colors in the service.

We have reports that earlier in the week showed custom colors on the bar charts, but now are all showing default colors.  In the desktop files we see the custom colors, but in the service they are the default colors, even when re-publishing.  If I try and edit the colors in the service, the color picker just forces the default color.

14 REPLIES 14
anrosa185
Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem.

We are publishing a bar chart with a theme color and once we publish to Power BI Web Service, the color is changed back to the default teal color or the default color of the theme imported.

The issue seems to be isolated to only bar charts.

Please advise

Me too, same issue my stacked column graph wont let me change the colour from the default...when i choose to change the colour it flashes colour for a second and then defaults back to turqouse blue....I am using the May edition of the desktop Power BI application.

If i add more than one value to the graph it will allow the custom colour to work.....and selection remains ok...just like before...

Definately a bug in this version...Please advise soon as I have alot of reports that just dont look right anymore....!

@anrosa185@hitzand Please share the .pbix here if possible. So that I can try to publish to my Power BI service to see if the issue can be reproduced.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft There is a copy shared here.

Hi all,

In Power BI desktop version 2.45.4704.722, we can set custom color for the column when the chart has one value. After publish the report to service, the custom color will be reverted to default color.

You can update the desktop to version 2.46.4732.581, custom color for those charts which has more than one value will not reverted after publish to service. But there has one issue, we can't set custom color for the chart which has one value, as mentioned by @THEG72. I will report this issue internally, will update here once get information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi all,

I got the feedback regarding the issue we can't set custom color for the chart which has one value in May update desktop below:

"It will probably be fixed within a week or two, and the fix will be available three weeks after that. "

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi all,

Based on my test, the issue fixed in Power BI desktop newest version 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June 2017), please test again in your environment.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I faced the same issue.

Apparently we need to re-import the theme to Power BI to solve the problem.

So do not expect that updating Power BI Desktop only solves the problem.

Tested on the latest version: 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June/2017).

I am on version 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June/2017) as well and the Custom Report Themes option is not available in this release. 

hitzand
Advocate II
Advocate II

@GilbertQ It's not an issue with custom themes, it's an issue where data colors were changed on a specific visualization.

@v-qiuyu-msft We were running the April desktop, but I did try with the new build and colors are retained when publishing. However, the issue is we have many reports already built and published that have suddenly had colors change within the service, with no action on our part.  It's not a great situation when your user-facing reports change out of the blue (or to light blue Smiley Happy)! So now we have to go and edit every one of the reports, republish them, and then update all the content packs.  Woman Sad 

Hi @hitzand,

I would suggest you contact the Microsoft engineer to find if there are any better way by create a support ticket.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Actually, I was wrong.  Republishing with the new build is not retaining custom colors - they still revert to the defualt colors online.   Creating a new report with custom colors does seem to retain the color in the service. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hitzand,

Please try to update the Power BI desktop version to the latest one: 2.45.4704.722. Based on my test in this desktop version, published report in service use the same custom color as in desktop.

q3.PNG

Also please download the attached .pbix file and publish to service to see if custom color change to default.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @hitzand

I just uploaded a Power BI Desktop file that has got the Custom Theme and it loaded and kept the Theme details.

Power BI - DELETE 1.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors