Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Creation of a dashboard

Hi everyone,

I would like to know : 

I've created a report and published it into a workspace where I added a company member. If that member wants to create a dashboard he has to go to "Edit report" first ? And then pin the visuals wanted to his dashboard right ? 

If there is another way without going to edit the report and without pinning the whole page, can you please tell me where I can find that ? 

- Quentin

4 REPLIES 4

@quentin_vigne If you are using the workspace as a sharing mechanism then yes, he goes to the report and creates a dashboard from that, he doesn't need to edit the report though. This will just spin up a different dashboard within the workspace so technically any member of the workspace can own it. There is no mechanism to share content with a user and have them build their own dashboards off it. (Well, there is but it is on the road to deprecation so I don't recommend it -> Content Packs)

Each visual in the report will display an pin icon that will initiate the pinning of a visual to a dashboard. You don't need to pin the entire page.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

I'm sharing a report to a Workspace where I added one user from my company and when I connect to his account there is no pin icon displayed on the report. From the reading page he can only pin a live page.

In order to access the pin icon on each visual he has to click on "Edit report" and then from here he can pin visual but he can also edit the report, thing that I would like to avoid

Not sure if everything is correctly enabled

- Quentin

Hi @quentin_vigne

In order to access the pin icon on each visual he has to click on "Edit report" and then from here he can pin visual but he can also edit the report, thing that I would like to avoid 

You want the user can pin some visual on the report to a dashboard but don't get access to edit the report, right?

Based on my test, when i add the user as a member of the App Workplace, he can edit the content within the Workspace and also pin each visual even in Reading View of a report.

But, if i change the users's permission to this Workplace to "only view", he can't pin visuals to a dashboard.

As you want the user can pin visuals from a report but can't edit and change the orginal report, you can try a organizational content pack where the user get the report but can't change the orginal report, he need make a copy of this report, then he can pin a visual from this report.

Create and publish a Power BI organizational content pack 

Intro to organizational content packs in Power BI

Best Regards

Maggie

Still looking for a little help

- Quentin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors