Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkSL
Helper V
Helper V

Couldn't load the data for this visual

Hi,

I have created a new report, uploaded it to the service where I am a paid for Pro member and it works just fine.  I have created a new workspace, added the report to it and then added a colleague who is on a Pro Trial.  However when he opens the report all the visuals have failed to load with the error 'Couldn't load the data for this visual ':

Cant load data for visual.png

If I Edit the workspace and change this member from 'Member' to 'Admin', all the visuals load and the report is correct.  However if I change this back to 'Member' the report again fails to load.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MarkSL,

I think your dataset has RLS, right?
If this is a case, you need to assign role to user to apply RLS filter, otherwise they will got this can't load data error.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

BTW, current RLS only works on read permission, so admin and dataset owner can see each records even if they not get RLS roles.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarkSL
Helper V
Helper V

I have now shared the dashboard with another full Pro user and he is also experiencing the same issue - can only see the report when set to Admin.

Thoughts appreciated!

Hi @MarkSL,

I think your dataset has RLS, right?
If this is a case, you need to assign role to user to apply RLS filter, otherwise they will got this can't load data error.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

BTW, current RLS only works on read permission, so admin and dataset owner can see each records even if they not get RLS roles.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

Many thanks, that was indeed the issue!  

I had a long time ago looked at Roles and applying RLS, but hadn't gone any further with it and no user was assigned to the Role I had created.  As Admin, I could as you say see everything and was therefore unaware that this was even being considered.

I have now deleted this role but will look into re-applying it when we come to roll this report out further.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors