Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connection Power BI with Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Any one know why is not possible to download the Power BI file when you made the connection to a Azure SQL Data warehouse from Power BI Service (not using PBI Desktop)?

I am asking this because is not clear when data is up to date using methods below when what type of connection is used when use the PBI Service:

- Direct Query using PBI Desktop. Using this method I still have the refresh option enable.

- PBI Services (Connecting using Get Data option)

What is the difference?

Why we can not download the file when it is created from PBI Service?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

Considerations and troubleshooting

There are a few important considerations and limitations associated with downloading (exporting) a .pbix file from Power BI service.

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report
  • The report must have been created using Power BI Desktop and been published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix must have been uploaded to the service.
  • Reports must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published prior to then are not downloadable.
  • This feature will not work with reports originally created in the Power BI service, including content packs.
  • You should always be using the latest version of Power BI Desktop when opening downloaded files. Downloaded .pbix files may not open in non-current versions of Power BI Desktop.
  • If your administrator has turned off the ability to export data, this feature will not be visible in the Power BI service.

Long article on refresh - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous A prerequisite for downloading to a PBIX is that you start with a PBIX. I can't speak to the decision or why the limitiation is there, but it is a requirement at this point in time. DQ from a PBIX should be the live information all the time, but it requires an interaction to initiate another query. So a refresh may just pull the latest for the dataset depending on where you are hitting the refresh.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer thanks for the answer.

That explanation was based in some Power BI documentation?

Can you share with us?

Thanks.

@Anonymous 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

Considerations and troubleshooting

There are a few important considerations and limitations associated with downloading (exporting) a .pbix file from Power BI service.

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report
  • The report must have been created using Power BI Desktop and been published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix must have been uploaded to the service.
  • Reports must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published prior to then are not downloadable.
  • This feature will not work with reports originally created in the Power BI service, including content packs.
  • You should always be using the latest version of Power BI Desktop when opening downloaded files. Downloaded .pbix files may not open in non-current versions of Power BI Desktop.
  • If your administrator has turned off the ability to export data, this feature will not be visible in the Power BI service.

Long article on refresh - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors