Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FredTheFrog
Advocate I
Advocate I

Conditional formatting disabled by Sorting on another unrelated column

April 2018 version of Power BI Desktop.  Oracle 12c database using Enterprise Data Gateway and Direct Query mode.  Very simple report with a heading, one table visual, and one horizontal slicer for the data.  When assigning columns/data values to the table visual, conditional formatting of an integer value/column is available and functional.  After adding the slicer, it was apparent the sort/order of the slicer button values was not correct.  I elected to sort the text field displayed on the slicer buttons by a time value in the data table.  At this point, the conditional formatting vanished.  Neither the slicer value nor the sort by value are the value being conditionally formatted. 😞  Removing the sort by condition restores conditional formatting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi FredTheFrog,

Which data type your sorted column? In addtion, you said "At this point, the conditional formatting vanished.  Neither the slicer value nor the sort by value are the value being conditionally formatted. ". Could you give some screenshots and clarify more details about your issue?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Jimmy: Sorted column is a VARCHAR string. KEY VALUE for the sort is a TIMESTAMP with associated TIME ZONE. Conditionally formatted column is an INTEGER value that varies from zero (0) to four (4). I will prepare and submit a generic example later today for review. What is interesting is the conditional formatting rules remain present. Removing the SORT BY modeling restores correct function immediately.

I created a small generic example this afternoon, and the same bug appeared.

Until such time as I performed the SORT BY, the conditional formatting functioned correctly.Table Visual before Sort By is appliedTable Visual before Sort By is applied

As soon as I applied the SORT BY, the conditional formatting no longer functioned.Table Visual after Sort By is appliedTable Visual after Sort By is applied

Conditional Formatting Bug Data.png

This is the data screen showing the columns.  To obtain the correct sort on the GROUP_NAME column, it is being sorted by the SLA_TIME column.  Conditional formatting is applied to SLA_STATUS column as follows: 0 = white, 1 = green, 2 = yellow, 3 = red, 4 = dark red.  Removing the SORT BY condition restores the conditional formatting.

I've since updated to the June 2018 release of Power BI Desktop, and the issue persists. 😞

Can someone please confirm if this is indeed a bug?  Thank you. Smiley Happy

Hi Fred,

hope you are doing well.

did you find solution to this requirement.

I am also facing same issue. Sort column disable conditional formatting in power bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors