Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dmgdotnet
Advocate I
Advocate I

Common links to dashboards and reports

We have issues with sending links via email or IM as the URL is different depending on how the report is shared and accessed by a user. 

For example, we might share a dashboard with 'user A' that 'user B' sees via workspace membership and does not have the report directly shared with their account.  If 'user A' copies the url from the dashboard into an email and sends to 'user B', 'user B' will not be able to open the dashboard referenced from the email as it contains 'sharedwithme' in the url.  If 'user B' does the same, the url will contain 'groups/me' and 'user A' will not be able to access.

Is there a way to have common urls for the same dashboard regardless of how the user obtains access?

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dmgdotnet,

I think power bi embed will suitable for your requirement, please take a look at below link:

3 ways to embed power bi

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Thanks for the suggestion however we still want the urls to be inside the Power BI Service and not to an external location/resource (if I understood the blog correctly).

We just need the URL to be the same if linking to a 'shared with me' dashboard or a 'workgroup' dashboard.

HI @dmgdotnet,

I think you have misunderstood on this feature, actually it can also link to inside reports.

If you choose external link option, you can copy specific report url and paste it to custom link.

If you choose 'link to a dashboard or report in current workspace', you can direct select which content you want to redirect.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Can you let me know which approach you are suggesting for embed? We can't use 'publish to web' as we use a live connection to SSAS and the other two options seem far too complicated for everyday use for users.

Just to clarify, are use case is regular users copying and pasting urls from the browser address bar to send in emails or IM to other users.

E.g,  User A sends an email to User B "check out this figure on the report here". If User A is in the workspace and does not have the report shared, the URL needed to access the report will be different to User B.

Hi @dmgdotnet,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at following link:

3 ways to embed Power BI | Guy in a Cube

>>User A sends an email to User B "check out this figure on the report here". If User A is in the workspace and does not have the report shared, the URL needed to access the report will be different to User B.

In fact, external sharing can only allow shared user to access.(this link only works for sharing email)

Reference link:

Share your Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Yes they are both internal users, we are not sharing the links externally.  Here is some example links i'm referring to that will hopefully clarify the issue:

User A: https://app.powerbi.com/groups/{grpId}/dashboards/{dashboardId}

User B: https://app.powerbi.com/sharedwithme/dashboards/{dashboardId}

User B cannot access via User A URL and vice-versa

Hi @dmgdotnet,

I guess user A is your group member but user B not, right?

Since link A will navigate to specific group and report which user B not have permission to access, so link A not works for user B.(You can try to add user B to that group and try again)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft,

That's the point, we are going to share reports different ways with different users, we want it to be this way and we can't add all users to all groups so everyone has the same URL (we have > 50 groups and ~1000 users).

Our hope is that Power BI will make a changes so that URLs are common for all users no matter how the report is accessed.

Maybe it's best to open an idea for this one as it seems there is no native solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors