Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Combining dashboards from different workspace - Apps?

We have a number of different workspaces in Power BI (Sales, Finance, Operations, etc.) which work fine. 

For some executives though I'd like a single place they can view key metrics from all of those reports. It seems Apps is the way to go here but not sure.

I created a new "Corporate Reporting" app workspace, but it seems I can only add new content, or copies of existing content (Power BI Desktop files for example) and then recreate dashboards.

I was hoping to just add the dashboards and reports from the other groups (Finance, sales, etc) to this app, then publish the app and give the executives access to it so they could see everything relevant in one place.

But in going over the tutorials, including the App video by guys in a cube, not seeing it.

Is this not possible, or am I just not seeing it?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@edhans

It's not possible. On Power BI Service, the App is actually a content pack for current workspace level. It can't cross multiple workspace. And report/dashboard can't shared into an app workspace. Dashboard can only be shared to users so that they can view those contents in their own "My Workspace". 

In your scenario, you can only publish those "expected" reports into same app workspace ("Corporate Reporting").

Regards, 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@edhans

It's not possible. On Power BI Service, the App is actually a content pack for current workspace level. It can't cross multiple workspace. And report/dashboard can't shared into an app workspace. Dashboard can only be shared to users so that they can view those contents in their own "My Workspace". 

In your scenario, you can only publish those "expected" reports into same app workspace ("Corporate Reporting").

Regards, 

Thanks. Not the answer I wanted, but at least clears up my confusion. My problem is the reports need to be in different groups so the right people responsible for those areas - finance, operations, sales, etc, can have access to their data.

But to get the execs to see all of it, they either have to go to multiple groups, or I have to duplicate the reports in the corporate group.

From MS's perspective though, I can see where group security would become a real problem across groups.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can copy the reqired reports from various worspaces to the newly created corporate workspace using copy option.

Power BI Service > Go to a workspace > Select report listing > Copy

rchacko_0-1596701836169.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors