Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Column width in matrix

Hi guys,

I am using a matrix with auto-size optiion switched on.

It seems that the column width calculation does not take into account the size of the column total. As a result only part of the column totals are shown and this is really annoying.

Has someone found a way to solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you just turn off auto-sizing and manually set the width?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
johnmasella
Regular Visitor

I found that I can only adjust the column width if there are data in the table - if no data exist in the table, column widths become unchangable for some reason. So, when I need to change column widths, I make sure that there are actually values populated for the fields that I've brought into the table. Not sure if this addresses your issue, but I hope it helps.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you just turn off auto-sizing and manually set the width?

Latest book!:

Thanks a lot, smoupre!

Switching the auto-size option to off worked. I cannot see where one can define the width of the measure columns but for the moment it doesn't matter as the visual calculates the width correctly (in my case auto-sizing works correctly with auto-size = off :-))

I feel a bit silly as I am almost sure I have tried this before and it didn't work.

Thanks once again!

@Tsanka, you and I are experiencing the same two issues, which puts us in a catch-22 situation.

If you want column totals (and I've even had the problem in columns that were not totals as, just big values) to be displayed in full (not have 3 elipses...), then you need to turn off auto-sizing and adjust the widths accordingly. But if auto-sizing is off, then the matrix often doesn't respond to filtering by a slicer. Ouch! (For now, we're opting to suffer with the clipped text, as the lesser of two evils.)

Post for the other issue, for other readers:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Visuals-interaction-slicer-matrix-strange-behavior/m-p/13734...

Addendum: My font size when experiencing the problem is 10 pt or higher. When I set it to 9 pt, the auto-sizing is ok (but now my font size is smaller than I'd like.)

seena
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, that 9pt is the catch. I made the text size 9 ,auto size =off and image =32 and it worked 🙂

@JenM, you are so right - it is a catch-22 situation. At least now thanks to @Tishchenko we have a work around for the first issue.

Let's be optmistic that the powerBI team will solve the issues soon (or at least one of them). Cheers Smiley Happy

According to me the new (Feb) version of PowerBI desktop solves that bug - both in the desktop and in the published report.

If you slide your mouse slowly across the column headings, you should see it change to <- ->, you should then be able to click left-mouse button and drag the column to the desired width.

With weekly updates to the service, it is difficult if not impossible to keep track of what used to be a bug and didn't work versus you just having missed that particular feature. Trust me, I find new stuff all the time and can't tell if it has been there all along or just recently added!!

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors