Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

City not mapped when publishing to service

Hello,

I have a Map in my report which uses city(this has city,state for example Seattle,WA) as location and I have city column formatted as City. Map works perfectly in my power bi desktop but when I deploy I see a different view on power bi site. Some cities appear in europe. This used to work fine before. So not sure what changed recently.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can second this.

Working from the Netherlands, I have a datamodel that contains a field [city, country] that is categorised as a City. E.g.: "Amsterdam, Nederland" (The Netherlands). This worked (and still does) fine in Desktop, but in PowerBI Service all of a sudden most cities are mapped to other countries or to the wrong city in the Netherlands.

E.g.: "Den Haag, Nederland" (The Hague) is now plotted to the street "Haag" in the town of Mol in Belgium.

I am having the same issue. It used to work but now doesn't. Does anyone have a solution for what I need to do to make it work again?

I downloaded the newest update of Desktop and it doesn't work in desktop now too.

We have our Location field in the map using a field that combines CITY, STATE COUNTRY.
These maps ceased to work with the June release.

We were able to correct this by selecting our CITY, STATE COUNTRY field, and then in the Modeling tab changing the Data Category to PLACE.

This is the only method we have had success with the new (as of June release) maps. The MS documentation showing Country & postal code hierarchy has not worked for us. It confuses citys with Countries and vice versa at least a third of the time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Map stuff got a bit of an overhaul recently.  Make sure you are on the latest Power BI desktop version.  You might need to recategorize your data.

Version should be 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June 2017)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors