Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MojoGene
Post Patron
Post Patron

Chaos Joining Group Members

I have created a dashboard and reports and set up a group ("Group"). I am the adminsitrator. I have sent out invitations to 14 other members of my organization to join Group. (We do not have an Office 365 environment, so I am just creating the group in PBI.) After almost two weeks of trying, only 2 others have successfully joined the group. Others are encountering insurrmountable problems that appear to fall into 2 categories.

One set of organization members gets past the sign in process as far as the "Power BI" Logo screen where the rolling dots beneath the logo appear to indicate that some set up process is in place. Unfortunately, the set up process hangs at this point and never completes.

A second set of organization members gets past the sign in screen to their own personal PBI page, but from that point there is no way to find the organization's Group. (Yes, we have tried searching in the "Group" search box on the personal page menu. No luck.

Everyone is following the prescribed protocol for joining by following the link in the invitation email. 

At this point, I am pulling out my hair in frustration. Any idea what is going on? Should I delete the group and start over?

3 REPLIES 3
xhead
Helper II
Helper II

Yes, we have having the same issue.

This seems to be most problematic for us when you invite someone who isn't yet enrolled in PowerBI.

I have several users who enrolled in PowerBI within the same tenant (@aaa.mb.ca) and when I invited them on the Group membership page, their full names came up after I typed their email addresses.  Another user hadn't yet enrolled, so only her email address showed up in the membership page.

She had already created a Microsoft account (for use with Azure and other cloud services), using her user@aaa.mb.ca email, but this is not a PowerBI account (which is in an O365 tenant). Once we were able to get her enrolled with the Work or School account, also using user@aaa.mb.ca, she is able to see her personal PBI desktop. She also can see the Enterprise Content Packs I had previously published within the tenant, so I know she is using the correct account to login - her O365 user@aaa.mb.ca account, not her Microsoft user@aaa.mb.ca account. She cannot see the group that she has been invited to.

When I go to the group membership page now, I still see just her email, not her full name (and just the email icon, not the member dropdown), so I tried to delete that invitation. It appeared to delete, and I started typing her email into the Add Member box, and it resolved to her full name. I added her as a member, and attempted to save. I got this error:

Something went wrong.

Couldn't update the group
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID87a8ec28-56c4-41ae-af8c-ae99f26f8ae5
Request ID1bca273f-2ebc-d3dd-46b0-1834e805c22e
Correlation IDd36f8f92-951e-b3f7-a817-c56ffc8385e9
Status code400
TimeFri Aug 05 2016 14:50:13 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1500.566

If I just remove the original email from the list, I can save it, but when I re-open the group, the email is still there.

Mike

Exact same problem as Mike described.

Invited user gets no Group Role assigned. Cannot remove or re-assign invited user.

Possible cause: Invited user before they've created a Power BI (Pro) Account.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MojoGene,

Accoridng to your description, you are trying to create a geoup workspace in Power BI Service, and adding some members in this group, right?

In your scenario, though you haven't purchased Office365 account, you are able to create and manage group workspace in Power BI Service. When you create a group, you can add the group members directly like below,

a2 - Copy.PNG

Then the group members can logon the Power BI Service use their own account, they can find corresponding group workspace when they expand My Workspace.

a3.PNG

For more information, I would suggest you take a look at this article: Create a group in Power BI.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors