Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rosponda57
Frequent Visitor

Can't set data source credentials

Something happened with data sources, the "Data source credentials" menu for dataset is disabled.

powerbi Issue.PNG

i've checked if on few data sources and on few accounts, everyware is the same.

Is wrong something going on?

5 REPLIES 5
GarryFarrell
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi,

I have been following this post by Chris Webb. https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/09/19/loading-data-from-multiple-excel-workbooks-into-power-bi-and...

I have used several different methods to load data to PBI Desktop and publish it.

1. Sharepoint Folder and accessing an Excel File in Sharepoint.
  2. Sharepoint Folder and accessing an Excel File in OneDrive.
  3. Directly using the Excel connection in PBI Desktop and connecting to an Excel File in OneDrive.

All of these methods end up with the same issue as outlined above. It is trying to use my personal gateway and will not allow me to specify the "Data source credentials". However, when I follow Chris Webb's post even though I am only using one file instead of multiple, i get the option to use the "Data source credentials". When this works this is what it looks like and I can Edit my credentials and the refresh works without the Gateway.

But my question is why does Chris Webb's method work and the other more standard methods not work. Is it the difference between using the online version and desktop?

DataSourceCredentials.PNG

I have done one more test.

4.  I connected from Power BI online to my Excel file stored in OneDrive and the result is different. "OneDrive Refresh"

OneDrive File OnlineDataSourceCredentials.PNG

WESTi
Helper I
Helper I

Under 'Gateway Connection' have you selected a gateway (personal or enterprise)? This is presuming you are connecting to an onpremise data source or something like MySQL or Google Analytics. 

If your data source is not one of these, please post what source you are trying to connect to.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rosponda57 try doing Refresh Now or setting up Schedule Refresh and when you do that it should give you Data Source Credentials option as it is required for both.

zach_fransen
Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue here, underlying data source is azure data warehouse.

Same issue, Microsoft CRM Online is the data source.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors