Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jfenico
Helper III
Helper III

Can't connect Gateway to dataset -Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed

Have not been able to get our gateway working correctly. Here is the scenario:

Newest gateway installed

Connection is good - using HTTPS

Gateway is on server 1 - It connects to two datasets, one dataset on server 1, another on server 2.

The gateway can talk to the dataset on server 2 but not server 1 (itself).

When trying to connect to the dataset on server 1 - I get the following error: "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

Both servers are on the same network, I can run a query within Power Bi Desktop and connect to both sources without an issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe I figured out the issue but wanted to post the solution for others who run into the same problem have something to try.

Go to the station that has the gateway installed

Go to C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway (or the appropriate location of your gateway install)

Open Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config (you may want to create a copy and save it on your desktop just in case we need to revert settings)

Look for the following setting, it is towards the bottom -     

<setting name="MashupDSRTestConnectionTimeout" serializeAs="String">

<value>00:00:50</value>

Change the value from 00:00:50 to 00:01:50

Restart the gateway.

Try adding the data source to your gateway.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jfenico,

What is the data source hoseted on server1?

Please use the Fiddler to monitors HTTP traffic, to get more detailed error messages when establishing the connection between gateway and server1.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yulgu-msft

Both data sources are from separate MySQL databases.

I will take a look at the Fiddler program to see if it shows anything.

@v-yulgu-msft

Not seeing anything out of the ordinary as of yet but will keep looking.

Side question - is there a way to change the default timeout time of 60 seconds for the gateway? I know you can within Power Bi Desktop when querying but I don't think the two are related.

I believe I figured out the issue but wanted to post the solution for others who run into the same problem have something to try.

Go to the station that has the gateway installed

Go to C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway (or the appropriate location of your gateway install)

Open Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config (you may want to create a copy and save it on your desktop just in case we need to revert settings)

Look for the following setting, it is towards the bottom -     

<setting name="MashupDSRTestConnectionTimeout" serializeAs="String">

<value>00:00:50</value>

Change the value from 00:00:50 to 00:01:50

Restart the gateway.

Try adding the data source to your gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does MashupDSRTestConnectionTimeout actual do?

Hi Rob,

It was my impression that this would increase the timeout amount allowed for when the Power Bi Gateway would talk to your on-premise data source, however after further testing I'm not so sure it does much. Your mileage may vary however. Always keep an initial copy of the config file if you're going to make changes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response. I will give this a try. I just feel that MS with possibiliy due to the recommendation of not touching the config files, does not have any documentaiton about the timeout parameters mentioned within the file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors