Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Can't Share outside my organization

Hello,

I have shared a dashboard to other Power BI Pro users outside my organization.

However, they don't see it in their account.

The notification email is being sent correctly.

The attached image is displayed:

Capturar.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can confirm that if you share a Dashboard, Report or App with an external user, they will not see it in their Power BI space.

They will ONLY be able to access it via the link in the email.
This is a current limitation but that is how it currently works.
The only thing that I suggest is to share if via an App, because when the external user clicks on the link, they can navigate back to the Apps if more than one external app has been shared with them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
KoningToon
Regular Visitor

Go to Microsoft Partner : In Summa they created the Webdashboard (www.webdashboard.com). This is a PowerBI portal. 

KoningToon
Regular Visitor

Have a look at www.webdashboard.com an easy and simple portal that let's you organize and share your powerBI reports in an intuitive way. @webportal 

KarolinaMyszka

Hello,

Today I've tried to add permission to person outside from my organization. Unfortunatlly I recieved error, are you able to advise why it happened? I have the Premium workspace and thought that I can share report with everybody whom I add privilege

Bez tytułu.png

Thanks in advance, 

Karolina

Could you please ask your Power BI Admin if they have locked down external sharing?

Power BI Blog

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @webportal

It seems that the owner has removed the access to this dashboard. 

Please check if you have removed the access of the dashboard to the user outside your organization accidentally.

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft

Thanks, but that isn't the case.
The dashboard and report has been properly shared.
Just no access.
I'm supposed to be able to share dashboards and reports with other PBI outside my domain, correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @webportal, You can only share outside your organization if you have this feature enabled inside of your admin portal. Under the Tenant settings your Power BI admin will have the ability to Share content with External users.

ExternalUsers.png

This setting shown above will determine the ability to share content with external users.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I do not have this "tenant setting" option... where can I find it? I currently have a PRO licence, do I need a different kind of licence for that?

r_orange_0-1667547018983.png

Hello! 

That worked for me, but when I tried accessing the dashboard as the guest, it prompted me to choose to either start a trial period, or upgrade my account to Pro. If I click cancel, then, I don't see the dashboard.

Any other configuration I am missing?

Cheers,

Antonio

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asantos2020 , if you want to access Power BI workspaces then you will need a license. If you want to access content without a licencse then premium capacity is what I would advise to look into. This allows you to publish your workspace as an app and share the app with anyone, i.e. non-Pro members. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks, @Anonymous !

..that was, indeed, too good to be true!

Cheers,

Antonio

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous

thank you so much.

I believe I have that configuration right:

Capturar.JPG

But still no go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have Role Level Security on the report you are trying to share?

Also, you might try sending a user the direct link to the report to see if this helps if not already.

Here is the information on sharing content with people outside your organization:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards#share-a-dashboard-or-report-with-...

Might check to ensure the dataset is shared as well:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-share-dashboards#troubleshoot-sharing

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi,
The direct link works, but nothing is shown in PBI service side menu.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know if you share inside the organization the shared content shows in the Personal Workspace. However, I cannot confirm on outside the organization content.

I can confirm that if you share a Dashboard, Report or App with an external user, they will not see it in their Power BI space.

They will ONLY be able to access it via the link in the email.
This is a current limitation but that is how it currently works.
The only thing that I suggest is to share if via an App, because when the external user clicks on the link, they can navigate back to the Apps if more than one external app has been shared with them.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is this solution still accurate?

Thansk

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks for your message. I see why it might be like that. But is this still a limitation?

For us is more a question that why is not on the "Share with Me" section and only with the link. 

Do you know the documentation about it? or if there is an idea for that. 

Thank you! 

Best,

J. 

Hi there

Currently it is how it has been implemented.

I am fairly certain that there would be an idea to have it so that Shared with me appears from external links.

Power BI Blog

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @GilbertQ

Ok, I understand it is a limitation. We can work with the URL, no problem.

Thank you for your support!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors