Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daniel_la93

Can I send filter parameters to a published embedded report iframe to filter data?

My report loads data from a MySQL database.

I have a bunch of data from the columns in my database listed in the table format on my report. I also added a page-level filter so that I can filter all the present data based on that value.

When playing around with my report on PowerBI desktop, I'm able to toggle through the filter and my data gets filter accordingly.

However, when I publish my report and try to add the following query strings to the end of the report URL, nothing happens:

?filter=thisReportData/id eq '1'

?filter=thisReportData/id eq 1

?filter=thisReportData%252Fid%20eq%20%271%27

?filter=thisReportData%252Fid%20eq%20%27'1'%27

I've been reading documentation and community posts and I've found some conflicting information on passing filters to embedded reports. Some say it's not possible yet and I've read a blog that says the filter has to be of type text (but the blog didn't specify whether it's possible for a published report thats going to be embedded).

Does anyone know if it's possible to pass filter parameters to an embedded report to filter out the data when it renders in an iframe? If possible, does anyone know if I can pass integer values or can I only pass text values?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @daniel_la93,

The query string filter option you mentioned above only supports to Power BI service report URL. In other words, it is not supported for the URL which is created by "Publish to web". The embedded URL in iframe is the same with that publish to web, so, send filter parameters to a published embedded report iframe to filter data is not possible.

If you want to do programmatically filter the report you should use one of our supported developer options:

Load a report into an IFrame

How to use Power BI Embedded with REST

As these two options are more related to Power BI developer, if you have any concern about it, please post questions on Developer forum.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

The links you have included don't seem to be valid (404).

Do you have any way of embedding a report into a webpage, and using parameters?

Thank you

Jonathan

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

The links you have included don't seem to be valid (404).

Do you have updated links, or maybe instructions on how I can embed a report in a webpage with parameters?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors