Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JesperP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Calculated Columns and Measures: The resource string could not be loaded

Hi fellow PowerBI enthusiasts!

I was working on my model in PowerBI, but since I've updated to the latest PowerBI (desktop) version, I no longer see the formula's of my Calculated Columns and Measures.

They do still perform the calculations, but I cannot see or edit the formula.

I recieve the error: "The resource string could not be loaded".

I also cannot create any new measures or calculated columns, this results in the same error.

Clicking excisting measures/columns sometimes results in Power BI crashing.

It only happens with this specific file, but recreating my entire model would take an enourmous amount of time.

I would be very thankfull if someone could help me resolve this. If I need to provide more details, please let me know.

5 REPLIES 5
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Probably the model is sort of corrupted..This is a wild guess but if you change the extension from pbix to zip you will be able to see a folder called model...try to copy that to a new fresh pbix file which you have also turn into zip...then convert back to pbix..I am not sure I this is possible with the visuals also..
Konstantinos Ioannou

Hi @konstantinos, The model does not include all the data needed to rebuild the file, but it gave me the opertunity to actually 'see' the calculations, so that I can now recreate them in a new file, so thanks for your advice!

JesperP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Bellow is the detailed error log:

Spoiler

Foutbericht:

The resource string cannot be loaded.

Stacktracering:

Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdErrorResponseException: The resource string cannot be loaded.
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.Discover(String requestType, String requestNamespace, IDictionary restrictions, InlineErrorHandlingType inlineErrorHandling, IDictionary requestProperties)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, String schemaNamespace, IDictionary adomdRestrictions, Boolean throwOnInlineErrors, IDictionary requestProperties)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, String schemaNamespace, AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions, Boolean throwOnInlineErrors, AdomdPropertyCollection requestProperties)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, String schemaNamespace, AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions, Boolean throwOnInlineErrors)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.ServerInformation.LoadFunctionsWithRestrictions(AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions, IModel model)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.ServerInformation.LoadFunctionCache(IModel model)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.EnsureServerInformation(IModel model)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXACListPopulater.PopulateAll(IModel model, DAXMatchObjectSet& matchObjects)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DAXParser.DAXParser.BuildContextForColumn(IModel model, IColumn column)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelManager.BuildContextForCalcColumn(CalculatedColumn tomCalcColumn)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControl.UpdateFormulaBarContents()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControl.OnModelChanged(ModelChangedEventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.PubSubEvents.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.EventAggregationService.<>c__DisplayClass4`2.<PublishInteral>b__3(Object state)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Aanroep stacktracering:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.Send(SynchronizationContext context, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action callback)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.StatusDialog.ShowStatusDialog(IWin32Window owner, Action cancelCallback, Nullable`1 showTimeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.ShellService.ShowStatusDialog(LocalizedString message, Action cancelCallback, Nullable`1 showDelay)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.TaskUtilities.RunAsyncAndBlockUI(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.CalculationEditor.Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.ICalculationEditor.UpdateCalculation(UpdateCalculationRouteRequiredSchemaChange schemaChange)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.SchemaChangeRoutingVisitor.Route(ModelChange modelChange, Boolean runAsync)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControl.CommitChanges()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControl.CommitOrDeletePendingCalculation()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.DaxFormulaBarHtmlControl.TrySaveChanges(Boolean closing)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Controls.HtmlControl.TrySaveChanges(Boolean closing)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Controls.HtmlControl.TrySaveChanges(Boolean closing)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.EditorDialog.TryCommitPendingUIEdits(Boolean closing)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Windows.Ribbon.CommandManager.ExecutePreCommandActions(UInt32 commandId)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Windows.Ribbon.RibbonCommandHandler.Execute(UInt32 commandId, CommandExecutionVerb verb, PropertyKeyRef keyRef, PropVariantRef currentValue, IUISimplePropertySet commandExecutionProperties)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.WindowManager.ShowDialog[T](T form, IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass8.<Main>b__1()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@JesperP Can you open the old pbix file and try "Save As" new pbix file and then try if that works!

Thank you for your response @ashishrj. I saved the old pbix to a new one. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Smiley Sad

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors