Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Best way to share group of reports with various departments?

Imagine you have a retail operation.  Lots of stores nationwide.

You want to make a group of dashboards for the general manager of each store to see.

You also want to make dashboards for the dept managers of each store to see  (GMs could also see them)

Then you want to make dashboards for some individual line staff by department as well.

What would be the best way to share this info?

Would you publish to a teamsite for each group (GM, dept managers, and line staff)?

Then add people to those sites via making an AD group that correlates to each one?  "StoreGMs" as one AD group for example?

Just wondering how people are finding ways to do this well?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

@OneWithQuestion

Sounds like this falls into the Company Level reporting. What I mean by that, is that these reports would be solely managed by you and the end users just need to consume them.

1) Something of this size I would be using a Tabular model with RLS to manage scale/usage and what they should see.

2) It would be up for discussion whether all the reports would live in the same Group Workspace for the Report Author (me) or different Groups for each level. (This is just a manageability question depending on # of reports).

3) I would create AD groups for each level so I wouldn't have to manage the security of each individual.

4) Share the dashboards with the AD group

This assumes that my process on the back end updates with new users/departments and that IT is assigning them to the appropriate AD group upon hire/termination.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors