Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Best practices for integration Azure Data Lake and Power BI Service?

Dear community,

I wanted to see if somebody has implemented integration Azure Data Lake Analytics as a source with visualization in Power BI Service.

A size of tables can be 2-50 GB.

Here are some research results done by me:

• Azure Data Lake Analytics (ADLA) doesn't have the ability to connect to it from external applications to retrieve a data. I saw there is an API, but it allows only to read structure without data. Also, an authentification method is a token, which is already not a good option to connect to it from Power BI. Reference - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/datalakeanalytics/

• You can add a script to ADLA to store your data in Azure Data Lake Store (ADLS). And then you will be able to refresh it from Power BI Desktop, in the meantime, it is not possible from Power BI Service, that's why it is not an option as well:

errorerror,

• You can replace ADLS in previous option with Azure Blob Storage (ABS). And finally, you can refresh such Power BI report in Service. But what is strange, sometimes I received an error for time out, but very rarely. See it below errorerror

What other options which you know? More stable or easier ones?

Regards,

Ruslan

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @zoloturu,

>>You can add a script to ADLA to store your data in Azure Data Lake Store (ADLS). And then you will be able to refresh it from Power BI Desktop, in the meantime, it is not possible from Power BI Service.

Azure data lake service not need to use gateway to handling refresh operation, you can update its credentials to use on power bi service. 

If you mean you are deal with a mixed datasource report which contains azure data lake service, please use personal gateway to handling with this scenario and confirm there are no combine/merge or custom function operate in it.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Let me explain it more. In this option which you've commented, I try to connect to ADLS from Power BI Desktop, but when I publish this report to Power BI Service I further not able to refresh it in a cloud.

Regards,

Ruslan

HI @zoloturu,

If your report only contains online service without any advanced operations(append/merge, custom funciton, reference other query), you can direct use connection directly mode to link datasource without a gateway.

If your datasource contains multiple data sources with both online and on premise datasource at same time, you can use personal gateway to handling these scenario.

In addition, you can also turn on below option to use on premise gateway to handling online service(not need to config correspond datasource).

13.PNG

Notice: on premise gateway not support to handling multiple datasource type(online and on premise) with advanced operations.

Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

The initial support will enable refreshing datasets that connect to Online and On-prem sources but that do not “mash up” data between them. (i.e. no Merge/Append or other query references involved). 

If above still not help, please open a support ticket for better support.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors