Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

piterab
Frequent Visitor

Best Practice: How to share report and dashboard with ~200 users

I have a data set and set of many reports that i neeed to share with about 200 users.  Here is my current plan to do this.  Any suggestions?  Is this the best practice.

I will create two PowerBI groups  DEV and PROD.  In the dev group i will have my data set and set of reports/dashboards.   Once ready to move to the PROD group, i will create a content pack and share it with the PROD group.  I will then go into the PROD group and add this content pack.

Now, i will give the ~200 users access to the PROD group as members(read only members).

Is this the best way to do it??? only issue i see is that i will need to individually add the users to the group... as you can't currently add an AD group to a PowerBI group.

Please let me know if this is not a good way to handle this sharing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Bjoern I upload the PBIX file to the Prod Group. I do not use Content Packs in the manner described for the very reason that I don't want the ownership of my production reports tied to the DEV group. A delete there, would delete everything in production.

Are there ways in which you could set up the Group names to be only production, and make Content Packs work - I'm sure there are. But I'd rather take the manual steps in pulling up the PBIX files and sharing dashboards with most end users, rather than create a solution that very few would understand the mechanisms to when just learning how Power BI sharing works.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@piterab I'm sure others will have an idea of how to handle this. But here is my input.

My approach I've used:

Tabular model as backend

Build all reports in PBIX files to have a "backup"

Use Sharepoint for version control of files

Create DEV and PROD groups in Power BI Service

Report author Group has admin perms in Dev group and collaborates on reports and creates dashboards

update PBIX files with any changes

Deploy File to Prod Group (very limited admins)

Create Dashboard, share dashboard with AD group or report end users.

There is no elegant way to implement an Enterprise solution at this point if you require backup and version control or moving from Dev to Prod.

The issue I have with your approach is that the DEV group owns the Content Pack. So if someone comes into that group and deletes the Content Pack - you've just deleted everything from Production...

There should be no way any action in "Dev" should ever affect "Prod"

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Seth_C_Bauer

If you say "Deploy File to Prod Group (very limited admins)" -> how do you do this exactly? Upload the pbix into the group? "Pulling in via content pack"?

@piterab

Personally I don't like groups yet, as custom visuals are not working there.

In general your approach should work. 

The thing with Power BI groups <> AD groups is a bit messy. They will fix it soon, I guess. 

@Bjoern I upload the PBIX file to the Prod Group. I do not use Content Packs in the manner described for the very reason that I don't want the ownership of my production reports tied to the DEV group. A delete there, would delete everything in production.

Are there ways in which you could set up the Group names to be only production, and make Content Packs work - I'm sure there are. But I'd rather take the manual steps in pulling up the PBIX files and sharing dashboards with most end users, rather than create a solution that very few would understand the mechanisms to when just learning how Power BI sharing works.

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Seth_C_Bauer Thank you eno, that is really insightful. I like the content packs really much, as I can integrate the dashboards into them. Otherwise I would have to recreate them in the Prod area. To be honest, MS is lacking a lot of features there right now. :-] But thank you for your insights. 

I have the same sort of issue - only want to share reports and dashboards with some users.

Only solution I found was to create a workspace under my account and then upload the PBIX to that workspace directly. Create the dashboard and then add users as read only (members I think)

they can see the dashboard and reports but not the dataset. They cant edit the reports (aside from the filters )

is annoying in that I have to remember to uploade the PBIX directly to that workspace each time I need to change it but is working for now.

ED

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors