Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brettlloydpayne
Regular Visitor

Behavior Check: Refresh Data Model & Scheduleed Refresh Clash

Hi

We have PowerBi linked to Microsft Dynamics in the cloud using PowerBI Cloud gateway.

Automatic refresh schedule is set up and runs fine and has done for months.

Over the last week I have noticed a couple of adhoc Scheduled Refresh failures, and the consistant factor seems to be that it happens when I have the PowerBI Desktop Model open and I am refreshing that so that I can see uptodate numbers in the model.

The system refresh seems to clash, so the Scheduled Refresh fail, not helped by the fact the model takes more than an hour to update..

Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal behaviour?

Cheers

Brett

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@brettlloydpayne The only option that comes to my mind is maybe data source is unable to handle multiple concurrent refresh sessions (which is also doubtful). I hae never came across this before more importantly never had a need to refresh both power bi service and data model in desktop at the same time.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you referring to CRM Online or Dynamics O365 or Dynamics AX or something else?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Fair question!

MS Dynamics CRM Online 2015

Thanks! OK, I have a bunch of reports and dashboards built using CRM Online as a data source. I have never run into this issue. Then again, I do not typically have the Desktop open with the reports and try to do refresh at the same time that the reports in the Service are refreshing. When you refresh from the Desktop, are you then also trying to Publish it to the Service? Because that would seem like it could cause problems. I can't think of why it would cause an issue if you were just refreshing the report from the Desktop and the Service simultaneously unless this caused some kind of "lock" on the CRM Online OData side, which I can't imagine but that would be the only common element between the two refreshes.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors