Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

slihp
Regular Visitor

Basics of sharing dashboards

Hello and appologies if this isnt in the correct section.

Ive built many ssrs reports but have just started to look at PowerBI now. Ive building reports on my desktop and then deploying them to the service. I need some clarification with how i then share them? I have users that are not within our organisation that will be consumers of any dashboards i build but, they are off i hight enough level that im not sure how willing they will be to go throught the drwan out process of creating a microsoft online account to access any dashboards i share with them via email. Is this the only way possible to share these?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@slihp Short answer, "yes"

longer answer, if you wanted to use the Service as the sharing mechanism then you would need to either have the Pro-Pro -> Or, you would need to look at purchasing Premium (P1) which is 5K/month. This is an add on to Pro. So only those building reports would need a Pro license, and you could share with unlimited people (as long as your dedicated capacity still functions at levels that you require). The external sharing part I believe still hasn't been implemented, but I believe it is on the roadmap to leverage B2B.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@slihp In the traditional sense that you describe the external users all will need to have a Power BI Pro license. This is required for any type of sharing.

Other alternatives would be to pay for an use Power BI Embedded in an external application but that is most likely outside the scope of what you are asking.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the reply. So i can develop reports & dashboards for free and show them in the desktop version but if i want to share them with someone outwith our organisation i will need a licence (9.99/month) for every person i want to share with AND they will have to create an power bi account?

@slihp Short answer, "yes"

longer answer, if you wanted to use the Service as the sharing mechanism then you would need to either have the Pro-Pro -> Or, you would need to look at purchasing Premium (P1) which is 5K/month. This is an add on to Pro. So only those building reports would need a Pro license, and you could share with unlimited people (as long as your dedicated capacity still functions at levels that you require). The external sharing part I believe still hasn't been implemented, but I believe it is on the roadmap to leverage B2B.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors