Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Merge

Bar Chart reporting elapsed hours of time in queue works on desktop but when published has error

I have a chart that reports how old a real time SQL Azure table records are by evaluating the time and date to "now" and reporting the rounded whole hour. works faultlessly on DEsk top Power BI. Once published to the cloud this chart throws and error and says could not load data for the visual.

{The query referenced calculated column 'Job_Last_Status '[Hours_in_Status] which does not hold any data because evaluation of one of the rows caused an error. Please try again later or contact support.}

cant work out why there is not trouble on Desktop but is in the cloud! any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Merge

So after some digging I have found the issue looks to be related to the differnce in server time and local pc time.

When using [Now()] on Desktop edition it uses the local pc time. But on the cloud its UTC so if your calculating the differnce between a time stamp and Now your time zone can completely screw things up.

some great reading here on solutions to this issue:  http://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Merge

So after some digging I have found the issue looks to be related to the differnce in server time and local pc time.

When using [Now()] on Desktop edition it uses the local pc time. But on the cloud its UTC so if your calculating the differnce between a time stamp and Now your time zone can completely screw things up.

some great reading here on solutions to this issue:  http://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi 

@Merge,

Glad to hear the issue is solved. You can accept your reply as solution, that way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Merge,

What formula do you use to create the calculated column? Could you please check if there are any issues with the relationship between tables?

Also is there any possibilty that you can share me the PBIX file? I will test it in my scenario.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thansk for the replay @v-yuezhe-msft I think I have sorted it with a timezone factor added. I have left my solution linked to this thread. But any additonal comments on this could be interesting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors