Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

compscinj
Frequent Visitor

Azure Blob Storage Refresh Failed

I have an Azure Blob that contains many CSV files. I imported these CSV files into Power BI Desktop, created a simple report and then uploaded them to BI Service. If there was 5 CSV files, lets say I used the data from 4 of them in this specific report. When uploaded to service, each file is seen as a field. If I go into the Blob now and delete the unused CSV (for now unused, in the future might be used), and refresh I get an error saying that the file that is being refreshed does not exist. This makes sense because it does not exist, however the csv still is seen as a field and the data is still in it. Similarly, the CSVs that still do exist do not refresh because the refresh of the one file that was deleted failed.

Does anyone have experience with the BI service and using Azure Blob Storage with dynamic files? I can't think of a better solution right now than manually downloading the file, changing the query in desktop to remove the deleted file, and re-uploading. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
compscinj
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out, for anyone else who is wondering how to make BI look at a specific folder/Blob/etc. 

Make sure when point BI towards the folder, NOT the files inside of it. For local folders this will happen automatically, not so much for Azure Blob. Had to modify the Query in desktop so it did so. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
compscinj
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out, for anyone else who is wondering how to make BI look at a specific folder/Blob/etc. 

Make sure when point BI towards the folder, NOT the files inside of it. For local folders this will happen automatically, not so much for Azure Blob. Had to modify the Query in desktop so it did so. 

@compscinj wrote:

Hi,

I believe I have the same problem. I had 5 files in my blob when I first imported the blob storage folder. Now I need to delete 4 of these, as they are test files. The problem is that PBI fails to refresh when it does not find these 4 deleted files. 

My intention is to have a varying number of files (with different file names) in the blob storage folder in the future, so it is of vital importance that I get PBI to refresh no matter what csv:s it finds in the blob.

Can you please advise what your exact steps were to modify the query in desktop so PBI opens the folder?

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors